SULCATA

polo582

If you are talking about the lines then no. This is what is referred to as "shell pyramiding" it is is a result of small dehydration.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
This tortoise has been raised in an a dry environment instead of a Humid environment. in extreme cases it hurts the tortoise badly because they can't walk and breathe correctly when there's shell is so badly deformed.
in your case the damage is already done and isn't the worst I've ever seen. It's only become known in the last 10 to 20 years, (due in large to some folks on this forum) that high heat and humidity as a baby create smooth sulcatas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see growth lines and pyramiding. I do not see any shell rot or MBD.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the close-up I see some spots where it's very dry. If you'd like to maybe lubricate those spots it would ease your mind, but it's perfectly normal. You can lubricate with either olive oil or cold pressed coconut oil. After you allow the oil to soak in for about 15 minutes, be sure to wipe off all the excess.

These spots are right in the area where a light that's too close would shine on the shell. How high, measuring from the top of the shell to the light, is the light hanging?

In the close-up I see some spots where it's very dry. If you'd like to maybe lubricate those spots it would ease your mind, but it's perfectly normal. You can lubricate with either olive oil or cold pressed coconut oil. After you allow the oil to soak in for about 15 minutes, be sure to wipe off all the excess.

These spots are right in the area where a light that's too close would shine on the shell. How high, measuring from the top of the shell to the light, is the light hanging?
ᑎO I ᕼᗩᐯE ᗩ TOᖇTOIᔕE ᕼOᑌᔕE ᗩᑎᗪ TᕼE ᕼEᗩT ᒪIGᕼT ᔕITᔕ Oᑎ TOᑭ Oᖴ IT