sulcata X leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
just saw this for sale,i know a lot of people are against cross breeding,i don't know enough about it to have an opinion,but i do think he's a beautiful little tortoise
6098318-730m.jpg

[url]http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106253093/sulcata-x-leopard-tortoises-very-rare.html[/url]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
N2tort has or had, not sure which, a couple. They are cute. I personally wouldn't do it, but wouldn't stop me from buying one

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
wellington said:
N2tort has or had, not sure which, a couple. They are cute. I personally wouldn't do it, but wouldn't stop me from buying one

I agree with Barb! :)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as they are marketing them as hybrids. There are so many leopards and sulcatas in captivity, it would never matter anyways. People have this idea that hybrids will destroy all pure lines if, say, a leocata is bred with a regular sulcata...The part they forget is, when a hybrid breeds with a regular, and the offspring breeds with a regular, and so on, the leopard is so far bred out of it it doesn't exist anymore. Eventually, you resort back to purity...
But anyways, a beautiful tortoise :). I'd buy one.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Team Gomberg said:
what is their asking price for these hybrids?

are you thinking of getting one?

:)

They want £500,they're in the UK,I did put a link for the actual advert,no i'm not getting one,i'm stressing enough over the ones i already got .

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have corresponded with this breeder. He treats his animals well. I do not remember exactly, but I think his are half babcocki.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
What is the benefit of this other than an interesting pattern? Do they not grow as large as sulcata? What do they look like as adults?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Vegasarah said:
What is the benefit of this other than an interesting pattern? Do they not grow as large as sulcata? What do they look like as adults?

What is the benefit of anything one wants versus what one needs?

So far, they grow to the size of a large leopard or a small-to-medium-sized sulcata. Mine is still young (around four years old and around 17/18" scl) and her rate of growth is more rapid than either parent species on average. I suspect, unless her growth slows greatly at this point, that she could reach full adult sulcata length and possibly even larger if the early growth rate is any indication. They look like a mix of the two, with somewhat of a nod more towards the leopard (but it can depend on the individual). High dome. Radiating coloration with broken patterns, but much darker than a leopard's coloration and more blending of the pattern. A bit fewer forelimb tubercles compared to a sulcata, but much more than a leopard would have. While the head is mixed, it tends to strongly favor the leopard side. My female hybrid is highly dominant, but it may not speak to leopcatas in general, as I have a little female pardalis that is more dominant than any of my sulcatas (male or female).

pepsiandjac said:
Baoh said:
I have corresponded with this breeder. He treats his animals well. I do not remember exactly, but I think his are half babcocki.

they look well treated,i don't know what a babcocki is lol,this is his ad http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106253093/sulcata-x-leopard-tortoises-very-rare.html

Babcocki is the "subspecies" name for a particular type of leopard tortoise. Yes, I saw the ad in the first post.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
These are a rare sight :D I got to see and hold two juvenile hybrids in the past and they were lookers :cool:

tickle

5 Year Member
500$ is way to much and I don't think they hold the leopard paternal that well as adults.also they can have undeveloped organs very common in all hybrids.and are they f1 or f2 they don't specify could be very inbred.I have had flowerhorns and bred them for year's and stay away from f1 like the plague.maybe it is t1 for tortoises

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
tickle said:
500$ is way to much and I don't think they hold the leopard paternal that well as adults.also they can have undeveloped organs very common in all hybrids.and are they f1 or f2 they don't specify could be very inbred.I have had flowerhorns and bred them for year's and stay away from f1 like the plague.maybe it is t1 for tortoises

No.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Oooh, those are expensive. The price alone would encourage people to create more hybrids as they are going for more than either sully or leopard hatchlings.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tickle said:

So you have first hand experience in raising F1 Leopard/Sulcata Hybrids? Thats an awful lot of speculation unless you have the experience to back it up........

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
tickle said:
£500 not $500 lol

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
These little guys are BEAUTIFUL!!
I always wondered if people bred hybrids and had never heard anything about it until now. Does anyone know of any breeders here in South Texas or the states that are maybe on this forum? Or how much they typically go for price wise? No idea what the UK> US currency rate difference is so I'm not sure what 500£ would be I'm US currency. In any case now after I get my Leo set up I definitely definitely am interested in getting one of these babies if they are available out here!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Zabbi0 said:
These little guys are BEAUTIFUL!!
I always wondered if people bred hybrids and had never heard anything about it until now. Does anyone know of any breeders here in South Texas or the states that are maybe on this forum? Or how much they typically go for price wise? No idea what the UK> US currency rate difference is so I'm not sure what 500£ would be I'm US currency. In any case now after I get my Leo set up I definitely definitely am interested in getting one of these babies if they are available out here!

They are not very frequently available (at least, not openly) in the US, but I have seen them sell for anywhere from ~$550 to ~$3000 and anywhere in between, depending upon size, condition, and if there are morph genes involved. Bill Corwin of reptileodyssey dot com sometimes has them.

Status
Not open for further replies.