SULCATA TORTOISE need HELP

SGVlivin

I recently got a 3 and half year old male and a 2 year old sulcata tortoise.

Around their eyes recently changed and turned black around the eyes.

Both of them. And I am worried. Vets are too expensive and I am wondering what could be the problem?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Please post pics and give us the total run down of the diet, enclosure,type of lighting and heating etc

SGVlivin

Both turtles kept in a 36 L x 16 W. Tank. I feed them Cabbage only. I use to let them out to walk in the grass but they kept eating feces most likely stray cat feces so I leave them in the tank alot more now. I use reptile bark from SuperPets as their bedding. I have one light but I am not sure what light it is and I am about to get a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Light tomorrow for them.

IMG_0470.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

SGVlivin

This is my 2 year old sulcata. I just fed her Spinach and you can see her eyes around is dark.

IMG_0672.JPG

SGVlivin

This is my 3 and half year old sulcata. His face as well his dark.

IMG_0675.JPG

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Both turtles kept in a 36 L x 16 W. Tank. I feed them Cabbage only. I use to let them out to walk in the grass but they kept eating feces most likely stray cat feces so I leave them in the tank alot more now. I use reptile bark from SuperPets as their bedding. I have one light but I am not sure what light it is and I am about to get a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Light tomorrow for them.
i just going to tell you the truth, because of your bad care your torts are pyramided and stunted. do they have access to water at all times? whats there cage humidity?

SGVlivin

what do you mean pyramided and stunted? do you think at their age can they be living in a outside habitat. i stay at southern california.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm glad you found us and I hope we can help. I will list what you need to do.

1. They should not live together. Pairs almost never work out. Read this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
2. That enclosure is too small for one hatchling. They need something bigger right now, and you'll need two of whatever you get. They can live outside full time with a heated night box, but you need to make them each their own dedicated enclosure and keep the cats out of there. If its feral cats coming in at night, you will have to do poop patrol every morning before you let them out of their boxes. Here are some night box ideas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/
3. You need to soak these guys several times a week for a while. 18 gallon plastic tubs work great. The water should come about half way up their shell.
4. You don't need indoor UV for tortoises that get regular sunshine. Coil type cfl UV bulbs can also burn their eyes, so if you do get something, don't get a coil bulb.
5. Don't listen to the pet store people. Read this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
6. Cabbage is not a good tortoise food. Here are some things you should be feeding them: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Read that care sheet from post number 8 in this thread. It will tell you what you need to know.

SGVlivin

Does anyone have a habitat, that they built in southern california? Los Angeles, are that would like to show me, a picture please.
I did get it recently I think its been around 3 months since I had them.
I thought female and male tortoise are able to be live together?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Does anyone have a habitat, that they built in southern california? Los Angeles, are that would like to show me, a picture please.
I did get it recently I think its been around 3 months since I had them.
I thought female and male tortoise are able to be live together?
the male will harass the female to death, pairs don't work well.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Well i live in Socal Riverside not los angeles, but i am curently working on a big enclosure outside about 6 feet or 7 feet so big. Just a square and im doing a good wood bottom nd good wood walls im making my kinda tall so they can grow nd still be okay. Nd im using a tiny hole chicken wire with a wood frame on top to protect them. with a lock ! But i have them in a big garden box cuz my torts r sorta small. And i have a wire on top .

5 Year Member
At the moment i have them in a big garden box with ecoearth plain soil nd a water dish . In their new enclosure! Im building them a food area nd a house inside the enclosure to keep warm at night until i get home from work or whatever.

SGVlivin

For out door enclosers, you guys leave the light on at night as well?
I am really glad I found this website you guys are helping alot. Thank you and continue commenting on my questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For out door enclosers, you guys leave the light on at night as well?
I am really glad I found this website you guys are helping alot. Thank you and continue commenting on my questions.

We're really glad you've found our forum too, because your tortoises need help! Please don't think we're being mean and picking on you. We have your tortoises' best interest in mind.

That aquarium is too small for just one of the tortoises.
Both of them look dehydrated. They both need to be put into tubs of water that comes up to the middle of their sides and left there for at least 15 minutes daily.
CABBAGE?? This is a terrible diet. Too much food from the brassica family, of which cabbage, broccoli, kale, etc. are members, can lead to the tortoises getting goiter. Your tortoises should be eating grasses and weeds.
The pictures really don't allow me to see the black that you're referring to around the eyes, all I see is dehydration.

Please read the care sheets and all the links that Tom referred you to and try to make constructive changes to the way you're caring for them. This will save their lives.

Oh, and by the way, they are both too small to know for sure if they're male or female.

5 Year Member
Yes Tom has helped me ssooooo much his has alot to say and always is descriptive !! No light on outside cuz the sun is natural light but make sure they have hides or something to escape from the sun when they are too hot while they are out there. And yes please soak them. Even though mine has a water outside they always love their nice warm soaks . I leave mine soaking for 20 mins making sure water stays warm or else they get cold and want to get out. Please read Tom's guides. Starting buying or growing their food that he mentions. Grasses weeds etc. And treat them like your baby :)