Sulcata poo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy

5 Year Member
Good morning everyone! I am hoping that someone can give me some insight and maybe alleviate some anxiety! My Daisy is an 18month old sulcata. We feed her fresh frown grasses, opuntia pads, aloe. She gets her calcium supplement, soaks, fresh water, great temp and humidity control. She is active, bright eyed, has not had any health problems. So, for the last 3-4 days we have given her frsh prickly pear fruit as it is in season. We picked fresh wild growing fruit, thoroughly washed, sliced open, cleaned out hard seeds, cut into smaller pieces. She loves it and has continued in all of her usual behavior and habits. She has clear urine and formed stools. Today, however, she passed stool that appeared to have some red tinged gel on the outside and a bit of an odor. She is not behaving any differently. I do not know if this could be blood or if it is from the dark red/magenta color of the prickly pear fruiut! Anybody have any thoughts or experience on ts?!?!

Many thanks!
Daisy's Parents

1-sulcata: Daisy
3-cats: Mija, Domino, Batman
Bunch of fish

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Probably due to the opuntia fruit. You don't need to do all that preparation. I just wipe the little spines away under running water. For big torts, I just throw them in whole. For little torts I quarter them lengthwise and let the babies eat it like a giant slice of water melon.

Your diet sounds pretty suculent heavy. This can lead to loose stools. Succulents are great as part of the diet, but not as the majority of the diet. Can you add some more leaves, weeds and grass? How about mulberry, rose, hibiscus or grape leaves? There are dozens of good weed species. Sounds like you have the grass covered already.

Tortmomma2

5 Year Member
Tom,
I keep hearing you and others say to ferd the torts grape and rose leaves. I know this may sound dumb but you do mean the leave off of rose bushes and grape vines correct? I have 4 rose bushes and a green grape vine in my yard thwt if I can feed them tjose leavr I will. I have also tried the clover weeds and tank did not go for it at all. I am going to throw some grass seeds in his enclosure....any recommendations on a good grass or any other seeds to plant in his substrate?
Thanks as always
Liz

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Pasture grass is what I planted.. bought in bulk at the local Nursery.

yes,, leaves off the grape and roses.. rose petals too.. as long as they are not sprayed.

Daisy

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback Tom! I will heed your advice to back off on the suculent content of her diet. I have been getting the seasonal tortoise pasture grass seed from sulcatafood.com and growing it in a chemical-free garden and in little pots that are buried into her enclosure. Do you have an opinion on the seed mix? I do not have a lot of leaves in her diet and will need to work on that. Do hou buy your plants commercially and then then keep them apart for a time to let any chemicals dissipate?

Bunch of fish

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortmomma2 said:
Tom,
I keep hearing you and others say to ferd the torts grape and rose leaves. I know this may sound dumb but you do mean the leave off of rose bushes and grape vines correct? I have 4 rose bushes and a green grape vine in my yard thwt if I can feed them tjose leavr I will. I have also tried the clover weeds and tank did not go for it at all. I am going to throw some grass seeds in his enclosure....any recommendations on a good grass or any other seeds to plant in his substrate?
Thanks as always
Liz

Yes. I feed the leaves of grape vines and rose bushes to my tortoises. Occasionally a rose flower too. Just make sure there are no pesticides or chemicals on the leaves or systemically absorbed into the plants.

I like the premium pasture mix from these guys:
http://www.groworganic.com/seeds/pasture-seed.html

Its good stuff and it grows really well for me. I also like the "Testudo seed mix" from tortoise supply.com. Its all weeds and no grass.

Daisy said:
Thanks for the feedback Tom! I will heed your advice to back off on the suculent content of her diet. I have been getting the seasonal tortoise pasture grass seed from sulcatafood.com and growing it in a chemical-free garden and in little pots that are buried into her enclosure. Do you have an opinion on the seed mix? I do not have a lot of leaves in her diet and will need to work on that. Do hou buy your plants commercially and then then keep them apart for a time to let any chemicals dissipate?

I either grow my own stuff from seed, or I plant it and wait one year before feeding out only the new growth that occurred after a year. I also have found lots of sources for mature un-chemically treated plants, and often feed from those plants. Mulberry tree leaves being a good example.

Bunch of fish

Daisy

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the great tips! You are a great resource and we really appreciate you being so generous with your knowledge!ImageUploadedByTortForum1375558973.238167.jpg

Bunch of fish

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.