Adult sulcata eye lids swollen

Mary Cepeda

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
(Central California) I rescued 12 year old sulcata about 1 1/2 ur ago. She lives out side in large pin, 24ft X 12ft grass area. She dug burrow and has 2 other house to find shelter . Eat grass, hibiscus. 1 or 2 times a week she gets store bought greens, occasional fruit treats, squash, red bell peppers. Large water dish with fresh water daily. I came home from work and notice her rubbing her eyes. As I went in closer to look. It looked like her eye lids were swollen and could bearly open them. They were red and irratated. I ran water over her head and she seemed to get relief. Eyes seemed to open more. I treated with terramiacin ointment and the next day there was improvement. As I was checking her out on day two. She was grazing on grass and dandillon's and eyes seemed better then she blinked and they got stuck close again. I repeated treatment . First cool water on eyes till start to open, then terramiacin ointment. It seems eyes problem is not constant. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA what might be causing this. This week we've had 100-109 temp. Please help

Bee62

Germany
(Central California) I rescued 12 year old sulcata about 1 1/2 ur ago. She lives out side in large pin, 24ft X 12ft grass area. She dug burrow and has 2 other house to find shelter . Eat grass, hibiscus. 1 or 2 times a week she gets store bought greens, occasional fruit treats, squash, red bell peppers. Large water dish with fresh water daily. I came home from work and notice her rubbing her eyes. As I went in closer to look. It looked like her eye lids were swollen and could bearly open them. They were red and irratated. I ran water over her head and she seemed to get relief. Eyes seemed to open more. I treated with terramiacin ointment and the next day there was improvement. As I was checking her out on day two. She was grazing on grass and dandillon's and eyes seemed better then she blinked and they got stuck close again. I repeated treatment . First cool water on eyes till start to open, then terramiacin ointment. It seems eyes problem is not constant. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA what might be causing this. This week we've had 100-109 temp. Please help

Hello, and a very warm welcome to the forum.
Is it very dry in the outdoor enclosure of your tort ? Is it possible that your tort get`s dry soil in her eyes ? Mayby by diggin in her burrow or with the wind ? That could be a reason for the irritation of her eyes.

Mary Cepeda

Fresno, CA
I've started applying terramiacin ointment to her eyes and the next day things looked better. I've continued to apply once a day for a week with checking on her mulitiple times. Hopefully this is all. He burrow is well established with smooth sides and very little lose dirt inside. I'll just keep close watch thank you for your help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mary:

Do you still have the other sulcata too? Do they live in the same yard? If so, it's quite possible the other tortoise is biting at your tortoise's face and causing eye irritation.

Can we please see a picture of the sulcata's face?

Mary Cepeda

Fresno, CA
Her eyes. They ate looking much better since applying terramiacin.

Attachments

• 1504568838495.jpg
    1504568838495.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 27

Mary Cepeda

Fresno, CA
I've just applied terramiacin to her eyes, that's why it looks wet. She has try eyes most of the time. Hopefully not clog tear duct

Attachments

• 1504569105144.jpg
    1504569105144.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 16

Alaskamike

South Florida
I had this issue with mine when he first started living in his burrow. About every 3 months he would get a swollen inner eyelid. I used the eye ointment also.

He has had a new burrow for the last 6 months that is in a better part of the yard ( it stays dryer in heavy rains ) & for the past yr had no issues. He might have been hunkered down in poopy mud in the other one. Don't know.

Mary Cepeda

Fresno, CA
Update... Terramiacin ointment worked. Her eyes are back to normal. She's so active I'm making are pin bigger. Thank you to all who responded. This is a great forum.