Sulcata feeding tube info

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and it's been great all the info sharing that seems to go on. I apologize if this has already been discussed (still learning to navigate). I was wondering if anyone has any info on feeding tubes. I have an 11 year old sulcata that has a bladder stone and has stopped eating. She will need surgery to remove the stone, but we need to get her stronger first and ensure her uric acid is low. My vet inserted a feeding tube 5 days ago. I was wondering when I should expect a bowel movement, and also an interest from her to feed on her own. Thanks in advance!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What's the animals temperature range at? Chelonian typically respond better and begin operating higher metabolitic responses when internal temperatures are high 70s-80s. A heat pad would be strongly suggested whether than a heat bulb above to achieve this. It's quite difficult to obtain internal temperatures on a shelled animal of course. But a temperature gun used on the skin and random other areas is a best case scenario to gaining random temperatures. Movement also is largely a factor of getting the internal digestive system operational. Will he walk or move around readily? Or is he strictly confined to limited mobility? Any other medications he is on? I ask this because many have dehydrating symptoms, as well as constipation. What food are you forcing through the tube currently?

Melis

Maryland
Thank you for responding! Her enclosure is in the 80s on the cool side, and around 100 on the warm side. Her internal temp just read at 81. She was quite lethargic at first, but has been a little active outside the past few days. I've seen urine with urates, but haven't seen a bowel movement. She's on emeraid herbivore critical care. 20 ccs twice a day for the first 5 days, 30 ccs twice a day started yesterday. 10 mls of water before and after the food. She's on allopurinol. And when they were giving her the anesthesia to insert the feeding tube, the vet poked her in the eyelid with the needle . So she's also on enrofloxacin and eye drops for that. The medicine also goes through the tube. She also gets soaked for an hour every day. I've been offering her food, but so far there's been no interest She's gained about a half pound since the feeding tube was inserted a week ago.