Suitable Substrate For Stars?

Le Ee

Could anyone recommend a good substrate for star torts? I've been looking for a good one but for now I've been using corn cob bedding which I've heard isn't recommended, and some people have told me to use soil mixtures but here in Malaysia a lot come with fertilizers and chemicals, and the pets stores don't have much for tortoises. Help? :) thanks!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Corn cob is not a good substrate eat all. You could use plain dirt/soil. I'm not sure what you have available in your country.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Dirt is definitely best. Here we have coco Coir, sometimes called plantation soil. A lot of people use orchid bark. I also have no idea what is available to you though, and I don't have Stars. Mostly just wanted to bump your thread. ;)

elainelim

Coco peat, you can get them from Ace hardware or nursery shops. Some exotic pet stores also carry bricks of cococoir. Please dont use corn cob. They can cause impaction if digested.

Le Ee

Dirt is definitely best. Here we have coco Coir, sometimes called plantation soil. A lot of people use orchid bark. I also have no idea what is available to you though, and I don't have Stars. Mostly just wanted to bump your thread. ;)
Thanks for your help! I'll try and see what's available :)

Le Ee

Coco peat, you can get them from Ace hardware or nursery shops. Some exotic pet stores also carry bricks of cococoir. Please dont use corn cob. They can cause impaction if digested.
Thanks! Gonna look for it for my star during the weekend :)

Le Ee

just a quick question, would that be a little too humid for the stars? I'm not very sure because here in Malaysia the humidity is usually around 80% , so I'm afraid by using a somewhat "moisture retaining" substrate it may lead to complications (?) thanks again for all the help :D

elainelim

just a quick question, would that be a little too humid for the stars? I'm not very sure because here in Malaysia the humidity is usually around 80% , so I'm afraid by using a somewhat "moisture retaining" substrate it may lead to complications (?) thanks again for all the help :D
You dont have to completely make it moist for coco peat. Less water. You can also get repti bark.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
if the temps are right there is no such thing as to much humidity for tortoises.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am not sure. I don't have stars. If they are prone to shell rot, you could put moss on top so they are not on wet substrate maybe?