Sucata hatchling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Alot. My little guy is only active a couple hours a day, usually in the late morning and early evening. He sleeps the rest of the time.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Thanks guys. Another silly question lol, how and where do they normally sleep? He is very active in the morning and late afternoon and very strong, but sometimes he just sleeps where ever he is w/his head resting on whatever is in front of him. I took him w/me to the pet store to get some things and they were commenting on how active and bright he was. I just want to be sure he's ok and u can never be too sure, right? =)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Yes the sleep alot at this age. He must be awful comfy in his home to just fall asleep anywhere!

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Thanks, I feel so much better. I guess he's just doing what all newborns do lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is always a tough one to answer over the internet. Babies sleep a lot. Heck adults sleep a lot too. Its all relative. The problem is that lethargy can also be a symptom of serious problems...

If your temps and set up are good, your tortoise is eating, and, most importantly, you got your tortoise from a good source where it was well hydrated and started right, you should be fine. You'll have to raise a few to really get a good idea for what constitutes "normal" in a general sense.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Like Tom says, it's all relative...and maybe depends a bit on what you would consider sleeping a lot.

In general terms, you should notice periods of activity and periods of rest occurring around the same time each day. My tortoises live outdoors, they are active in the morning and in the late afternoon. They will sleep during the hottest part of the afternoon which usually lasts about 5 - 6 hours.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Tom said:
This is always a tough one to answer over the internet. Babies sleep a lot. Heck adults sleep a lot too. Its all relative. The problem is that lethargy can also be a symptom of serious problems...

If your temps and set up are good, your tortoise is eating, and, most importantly, you got your tortoise from a good source where it was well hydrated and started right, you should be fine. You'll have to raise a few to really get a good idea for what constitutes "normal" in a general sense.

That's the problem... I don't know anything about his previous care, if any (he was found in someone's back yard here in Baltimore, Md and they brought him into Petco while I was getting crickets and I kind of adopted him) but at least he's young enough to still have his 'EGG' tooth lol ; ) All of my temps and set up are according to the threads in ur signature. Again, thanks for all the great info, if it weren't for u and the other members here, I'd be lost in contradictory websites =)

Neal said:
Like Tom says, it's all relative...and maybe depends a bit on what you would consider sleeping a lot.

In general terms, you should notice periods of activity and periods of rest occurring around the same time each day. My tortoises live outdoors, they are active in the morning and in the late afternoon. They will sleep during the hottest part of the afternoon which usually lasts about 5 - 6 hours.

He's VERY active in the morning and early evening, he does semi sleep when he basks and will walk around the tank several times throughout the day, I try to get him outside for at least an hour everyday (I'm right there watching him the whole time so I let him go where ever he wants as long as it's safe) and he seemed to be eating alot, he constantly grazes when I have him outside on top of what I already feed him. Oh, before I forget again, can I give him everything in Dole's spring mix? I only feed him the green stuff, not the purple leaves. I soak for 20 mins in the morning too... Am I leaving anything out?

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Kenazfehu said:
How did you acquire your little guy (assuming he is a guy)?

Lol That's ok, I refer to him as a boy n named him Master Oogway (although I'm considering changing it since I hear it ALOT now lol) I was buying crickets for my Fowler's toad and gray Treefrog at Petco last sunday the 8th and the guy who was working in aquatics was holding him when he walked over to help me. He said some guy found him in his backyard and brought him in a few minutes ago. Since we live in Baltimore, we were thinking it either came from someone's female who laid eggs w/o their knowledge and they hatched or someone bought him that small, which I don't think so, he's still got his egg tooth and I've had him for a week. Other than that, I know ZERO. He said he was too little to actually sell, so I gave a donation in his name, can't remember the name right now and it's bugging me, but it was an organization that rescued all kinds of pets, even exotic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It sounds to me like your little guy is just fine. You can feed all the stuff in the Dole Spring Mix, but make sure that there is not a lot of spinach in it. Some spinach once every week or two is fine, but not every day. Endive and escarole are to of the best Grocery store foods. Do they have Smart and Final stores back your way? If yes, they sell a Santa Barbara Mix that is very good too. Really the best thing is to try to find safe weeds and grasses. If grocery store foods are what you just gotta do, then go to tortoisesupply.com and check out a product called "Salad Style". It is basically pulverized grasses and you sprinkle some on top of the grocery store greens. This will give your tortoise some much needed fiber and grass in his/her grocery store diet.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Tom said:
It sounds to me like your little guy is just fine. You can feed all the stuff in the Dole Spring Mix, but make sure that there is not a lot of spinach in it. Some spinach once every week or two is fine, but not every day. Endive and escarole are to of the best Grocery store foods. Do they have Smart and Final stores back your way? If yes, they sell a Santa Barbara Mix that is very good too. Really the best thing is to try to find safe weeds and grasses. If grocery store foods are what you just gotta do, then go to tortoisesupply.com and check out a product called "Salad Style". It is basically pulverized grasses and you sprinkle some on top of the grocery store greens. This will give your tortoise some much needed fiber and grass in his/her grocery store diet.

No, we don't have either of those stores. I feed him zoomed grassland tortoise food, usually 1 or 2 pieces (depending how big the pellet is) softened w/water to about oatmeal consistency and then finely chop some spring mix and then toss them both together so that the softened pellets coat the salad. It usually ends up being about 1/4 cup all together and he eats about 90% throughout the day. He also grazes on grass and clovers (mostly clovers) when he's outside (usually an hour a day weather permitting). Is this ok, or do u recommend getting something from the website u mentioned on top of that?

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
I think I found the reason why my little guy was really only active while he was outside and first thing in the morning, and then, some what lethargic while he was inside his enclosure. I used an exo-terra repti-glo 26w compact florescent bulb for about 6 days =( but, I followed the advice of my fellow members and turned it off yesterday (thanks for everything guys!). I'm VERY happy to report that he already seems like a whole new tortoise!! So far today, he has been ALOT more active for much longer periods, sleeping in a more natural position and drinking and defecating/urinating more (I saw some urates, but this is normal, right?). He also devoured everything in his food bowl in about 15 mins (he usually picks at it all day and then grazes outside). It's only been off for about 13 hrs and I can't believe how much of a difference it has made! I'm so thankful for this forum and it's members, u guys are awesome! Who knows what would have happened if u hadn't been there to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.