Substrate

Suebev

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
I have two young African Leopards and want to check if following substrate is ok

JBL TerraBark 71024 Soil Substrate for Forest and Rainforest Terrariums Pine Bark 2 - 10 mm 20 L​

also may be being a bit dense, but how often do you change it and does it need to be damp?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

We don't have that type over here, but soil and pine bark should not be used for tortoise substrate. Fine grade orchid bark is best.

Also, tortoises should never live in pairs, so they will each need their own habitat, or you can get one or two more to make a small group.

Most of the care info you find form almost every source is all wrong. We've been doing it wrong for decades, and most of the tortoise world doesn't even realize it. Here is the correct care info for you:

Questions are welcome. :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Regarding changing out the substrate. The best thing to do is “spot” clean. Remove the obvious fecal matter & any nasty looking food on a daily basis. Every once in awhile you can remove a quantity of substrate & refresh it with brand new substrate. Add the old substrate to your garden. So, a lot depends on your situation. But, there’s no need to remove it all & replace with new.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like maro2bear suggests, I only spot clean daily, only changing the substrate when I'm moving the inhabitant to another area/enclosure/outside/etc.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have two young African Leopards and want to check if following substrate is ok

JBL TerraBark 71024 Soil Substrate for Forest and Rainforest Terrariums Pine Bark 2 - 10 mm 20 L​

also may be being a bit dense, but how often do you change it and does it need to be damp?

I never used pine for any indoor tortoises. I preferred damp coco coir in a bioactive enclosure for my leopards and would spot clean as needed.

My Egyptian tortoise was housed indoors on orchard bark with coco coir mixed in.

Take a look at that care sheet Tom linked for you. It's full of good info that has helped many of us raise very healthy tortoises.