Substrate

Maciify

Location (City and/or State)
Macedonia
If you have to choose between soil with manure or soil with peat, what would it be? Or i just better get some soil from my backyard?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you have to choose between soil with manure or soil with peat, what would it be? Or i just better get some soil from my backyard?
Don't use soil at all. Its not a suitable substrate. Tortoises shouldn't be on manure or peat.

Best to use orchid bark. If you can't find that then coco coir or cypress mulch can work. If those aren't avaialbe in your country, then dirt from your yard might be the best option.

Maciify

Macedonia
Thank you. I'm currently using soil with peat which is mostly plain ground with 10% peat. It was the plainest substrate i could use for my greek, since there are plenty other with artificial fertilisers. I did remove some of the partially decompost stuff though, but still worried it could harm my tort.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
As mentioned they can eat the soil and it impacts their stomach when it gets in their food etc... I use orchid bark and coir have a look to see if you can get them locally or online?
Example of what your looking for.....