I need help on substrate

CarlP97

Ok, I just put organic potting soil in my tort table, and noticed on the bag it says it has a very small amount of manure. Is it ok? I really don't want to remove the soil, but I don't want it to harm my tort. It is mixed with coco coir. The picture included has all the ingredients.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430005446.122137.jpg

How does manure harm tortoises? I tried to look up info online, but was unable to find any info.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It could cause shell fungus and mold problems . I wouldn't use anything with manure in it .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I wouldn't let's see what Tom and Yvonne have to say .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What is that soil made of? What is any packaged "soil" made of? It could be anything. It might be harmless, or it might be composted oleander, jasmine and dog poop with Ivermectin in it. One just has no way of knowing. Therefore, I don't use it or recommend it.

As far as the guano... The nutrients contained in a product like that will support bacterial and fungal growth, where coco products and orchid bark don't. Again, not something I want my tortoises living on.

Having said all of that, lots of people use soil and soil mixtures, and it doesn't usually seem to do any harm. I can't point to any obvious cases of a tortoise getting sick or dying from living on these soil mixtures, but I still don't feel comfortable with them.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Same as many things really.
If in doubt, throw it out.
Probably fine, but not worth the risk.