Substrate Questions

Dobby The Tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I was wondering what brand of top soil and cypress mulch is good to get? and the best place to get it from? (Lowes, Home Depot?)
and also, will my sulcata be likely to try to eat the mulch? Has anyone had this problem?

Also, I attatched pictures of Dobby's enclosure... Should I fill the entire thing with substrate? I've just been putting it only in his sleeping area.... is that okay?

Attachments

• 20130608_175921.jpg
    20130608_175921.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 75
  • 20130608_175958.jpg
    20130608_175958.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 69

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The whole enclosure would be much better. Also, organic if you can find it, either place is fine. How big is your sully? Don't forget if he is still young, a high humidity in the entire enclosure is best for raising him healthy and smooth. Toms threads on this are below in my post.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi McKayla:

That's a pretty nice tort table. Hard to tell from pictures just how big it is. I hope your sulcata has plenty of room inside there.

I like to use orchid bark (fine or small grade), and I keep it moist overall. If you don't want to moisten the whole floor, then you can just pack the sleeping area with moist sphagnum moss. The substrate should be at least 3" deep, and deeper is even better.

Some tortoises eat the substrate, but orchid bark isn't harmful. Keep your tortoise well-hydrated and the small pieces just pass right through.

Don't use a red or black light for heat during the day because some tortoises see substrate as food in these lights.