Substrate query

TayefA08

Location (City and/or State)
UK, Wales,
Can someone send me a link from where to get cheap top soil and playsand, I live in the UK.

Damien Szkatulski

Today is my birthday!
Ohio, United States
Can someone send me a link from where to get cheap top soil and playsand, I live in the UK.

I don't really know where you would get that specifically, but most supply stores in general have them for fractions of the price of anywhere else. Also what species you buying it for? Sand generally isn't good for them,if they accidentally swallow it, it hurts them more than other substrates.(Take everything I say with a grain of salt, Ive barely had a tortoise for a week)

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
I don't really know where you would get that specifically, but most supply stores in general have them for fractions of the price of anywhere else. Also what species you buying it for? Sand generally isn't good for them,if they accidentally swallow it, it hurts them more than other substrates.(Take everything I say with a grain of salt, Ive barely had a tortoise for a week)
I have a Russian tortoise

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Sand is not recommended for any small tortoise.

If you can’t find clean top soil try coco coir or finely shredded orchid bark; you can find these at your local plant nursery pretty cheaply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Bought in a bag soil, and play sand are not safe substrates alone or together. You can't know what composted material the soil is made of and sand is a big impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant.

Coco coir works better for babies and fine grade orchid bark works well for adults.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/-7104116p--1
I use tortoise life substrate.
You can get it at pets at home or your local reptile shop.

This is a really bad choice. Those limestone bits make it dangerous. Encouraging a tortoise to eat the substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings is a bad idea. No one should use this substrate, and they should stop selling it.

Welcome to the forum!

Damien Szkatulski

Today is my birthday!
Ohio, United States
This is a really bad choice. Those limestone bits make it dangerous. Encouraging a tortoise to eat the substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings is a bad idea. No one should use this substrate, and they should stop selling it.

Welcome to the forum!

What a warm welcome lol

TayefA08

UK, Wales,