substrate and humidity problem

Franekn

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol uk
hello i have a western Hermann tortoise; in the day time hours the range of humidity in the vivarium is anywhere from 34% to 46%. i think this is a problem as i can see that there is potential pyramiding and i want to prevent this as best as i can, this is my first time looking after a tortoise so i want get it right. But i don't now if its the substrate that's causing the problem or something else. at the moment i am using coco coir. if any one has suggestions that would be amazing. maybe i could mix coco coir with something else or ?

To try and get the humidity up i have done: mist the vivarium in the morning and afternoon but over than that i don't really know, so any help will be greatly appreciated!! :):tort:

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
hello i have a western Hermann tortoise; in the day time hours the range of humidity in the vivarium is anywhere from 34% to 46%. i think this is a problem as i can see that there is potential pyramiding and i want to prevent this as best as i can, this is my first time looking after a tortoise so i want get it right. But i don't now if its the substrate that's causing the problem or something else. at the moment i am using coco coir. if any one has suggestions that would be amazing. maybe i could mix coco coir with something else or ?

To try and get the humidity up i have done: mist the vivarium in the morning and afternoon but over than that i don't really know, so any help will be greatly appreciated!! :):tort:
Can you please upload a pic of your viv?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is the tort?
A closed chamber is needed for hatchlings up to about 3 years of age or so and 80% humidity. The humidity will not get high enough with an open top enclosure.
Also spraying will not do it
Dampen the substrate by pouring warm water into the corners and pack the substrate down. The top will stay dryer and in a closed chamber the humidity will rise and stay in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Increase humidity by making sure the substrate is damp, and then reducing ventilation. Are the heat lamps and UV tube inside the enclosure? Is the top solid or screen?

Give this a read through and also look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/

Franekn

Bristol uk
How old is the tort?
A closed chamber is needed for hatchlings up to about 3 years of age or so and 80% humidity. The humidity will not get high enough with an open top enclosure.
Also spraying will not do it
Dampen the substrate by pouring warm water into the corners and pack the substrate down. The top will stay dryer and in a closed chamber the humidity will rise and stay in.
Thanks for the advice but I tried it and it didn’t work it raised the humidity to 90% but after an hour and a half it was back down to 60%

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks for the advice but I tried it and it didn’t work it raised the humidity to 90% but after an hour and a half it was back down to 60%
Hi!
Where do you measure humidity? Results vary depending on where you put the hygrometer probe: under vivarium ceiling near the basking lamp you may get 40-50% and at the same time on the substrate in the cold part it could be 90-100%.

Other factors are:
1. Thickness of the substrate (aim for 4-6 inches)
2. Coco coir should be hand packed to a half of its initial volume (this makes it less messy and dusty and helps to retain humidity)
3. Air vents (all vents in the top part of the vivarium should be closed).
4. Hygrometer itself. Analog gauges are very inaccurate, even cheap digital meters are more precise.
5. If it's not a vivarium, but a glass tank with a meshed top you will lose heat and humidity almost instantly.

Franekn

Bristol uk
Hi!
Where do you measure humidity? Results vary depending on where you put the hygrometer probe: under vivarium ceiling near the basking lamp you may get 40-50% and at the same time on the substrate in the cold part it could be 90-100%.

Other factors are:
1. Thickness of the substrate (aim for 4-6 inches)
2. Coco coir should be hand packed to a half of its initial volume (this makes it less messy and dusty and helps to retain humidity)
3. Air vents (all vents in the top part of the vivarium should be closed).
4. Hygrometer itself. Analog gauges are very inaccurate, even cheap digital meters are more precise.
5. If it's not a vivarium, but a glass tank with a meshed top you will lose heat and humidity almost instantly.
So are you saying that I should put the hygrometer in the soil