Stupid tort owners!

Bogie=babyDINO

Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
So I'm at school and I get into a conversation with this guy who says he owns a desert tort and a sully. I told him how I have a baby sully right now and I'm currently building a new closed enclosure and I'm excited to test the humidity once it's done. He looked at me like I'm speaking a different language. He keeps his together in the backyard. He said the sully pushed his other desert tort he had in his pond and drown it. He said the sully now tries to mate with the current desert tort all the time and he hopes to have babies. I'm like you are a moron! I tried to tell him he needs to separate them, build them hide huts and soak them everyday but he kept telling me I must have a different species cause they don't need all that. Makes me so upset when people don't want to listen! Does anyone else run across these people?

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Unfortunately yes.

California tortoise and turtle chapters will tell people how things should be done but there isn't enough man-power, money or laws to enforce most laws/regulations. Plus, our human nature hates to be told what to do.

The CA torts that I have come from a person with similar views. He has five adult torts and doesn't want to separate them but doesn't understand why the babies don't survive on lettuce and fruit leftovers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All we can do is try to tell them. If one tactic doesn't work, try another.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There's other things I'd like to do to stupid, but I'd be in prison. Unfortunately you will run into this every time you talk to someone that has torts and don't belong to the forum. Like Tom said, if one approach doesn't work try another. Some people are just jerks and don't care what they breed either. Suggest he read over the forum to learn the new ways of raising torts. Unfortunately the lucky tort is the dead one in this case.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
This is really sad. There are people out there that should never have pets, of any sort. They don't even try to learn how to take care of them nor do they want to learn. I could get myself in a lot of trouble if I came across someone like this. I seem to care more for the animals then those people. I may not be perfect but at least I try to do the right thing.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Unfortunately yes.

California tortoise and turtle chapters will tell people how things should be done but there isn't enough man-power, money or laws to enforce most laws/regulations. Plus, our human nature hates to be told what to do.

The CA torts that I have come from a person with similar views. He has five adult torts and doesn't want to separate them but doesn't understand why the babies don't survive on lettuce and fruit leftovers.
I just don't understand. Why own an animal if you don't want to give it the best life possible? My aunt is like this. She gets animals to keep as possessions. Ill make sure her birds all have fresh water when I visit cause I can't stand when they have poopie water. When she found out I got a sully she wanted one so I told her all the bad things about them and I talked her out of it. Thank goodness.

Nmcgowan

I guess the most you could do is report it? I don't know what kind of animal control/protection agency you have near you. Gosh, when the one tortoise drowned that should have been the first sign that there was a problem. :eek:

Big B

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
Sometimes it like talking to a wall, but the more we talk the more people change. Some people will never get it.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Yeah I walked into Reptile Island, it's a pet shop down the street, and they were keeping their reptiles was way too dry. I'm not a reptile expert but I do know it a species has "tropical" in its name it probably need some humidity. THEN a man walked in and asked the cashier if 3 sulcatas are okay in a 60 gal?.....the cashier was all oh yeah they will be good for a long time because they grow so slow. I butted in and said actually they double each year! They both frowned at me and said they will do find.