Stumpy and the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
Hi

I posted before about stumpy not being her normal self and not eating. She still hasn't improved so I took her to the vet today. He give her a shot of antibiotics and some repotboost to soak in and said if she doesn't pick up by tue to take her back in :(
Still no other signs of illness like runny eyes or nose.

Anybody have any suggestions of what else I can do to make her feel better and start eating?

Very worried

Shell

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us a little more info to refresh everyone's memory. Is she pooping, any other signs or is she just not eating? Also remind us of the kind of tort you have.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe because of where you live...the weather and her being a Russian...and no signs of ailment...

Rather I see a Russian who is staying in the cooler side of enclosure...hurrying herself in...soaking when you bring her out and taking a bite or two...I know you leave the uvb/heat on from 8-10 and she has no runny nose she does look good per the pics you provided when she was out in the garden a couple weeks ago....I believe you have a Russian with an internal evolutionary clock telling her it would normally be down time...

If you want to add a bit of lighting to her enclosure to help simulate daylight you can try that...or you can continue to wake her everyday and soak her and offer her food...you can also add an additional heat source to make sure the enclosure does not drop below 76°f which may snap her out of the sleep and then again, it may not...evolutionary has had a few years up on us in their form and function and inherent life cycle...some will disagree and others here encounter this exact situation....:D

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
It's just sooooo frustrating that she can't tell me what the heck is goin on! If I cud pick a super power it wud b to talk to animals then she wud probably tell me to leave her sleep!

Also how long is 'down time' if she did hibernate when wud she normally b expected to wake up?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Down time is until summer. Sort out your heat and light to replicate long, warm summer days and she should come round.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/reptilian-brumation/

I am attaching this link for informational purpose....please do read it in its entirety ....this is the best written material that goes over brumation and the potential drive in some brumating species of tortoise/turtle....

It is absolutely possible that your tort is experiencing an internal clock to slow down...regardless of what you attempt....in the wild they would likely brumate for at least 5 months of the year....so if your tort slows down during the winter months then you will eventually get use to the time of year this will begin and roughly end...be patient.

Just make certain that you continue to do what you are doing since he is not brumating....heat, light, soaks, access to water and food offerings...:D

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
I will defo read that thank you so much.

Good news 2 she is eating :) its the most of I've seen her ear in a month an she is attacking it like her old self. Fingers crossed it continues

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Every time I read your subject line, the song "...Benny and the jets.." floats into my mind. You're probably too young, sigh.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
emysemys said:
Every time I read your subject line, the song "...Benny and the jets.." floats into my mind. You're probably too young, sigh.

St-St-St-Stumpy and the Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.