Stumped....

IMacBevan

10 Year Member!
So I'm not new to the larger tortoise species nor to water or box turtles. However I am somewhat new to the testudo complex. I recently rescued a tort that I am unable to figure out what species it is. It appears to be a female, about 7" in carapace length, golden shell coloration with some minor black speckling. Some black marking on the plastron. Pretty health weight in the hand (haven't weighed her yet). Shell is not highly domed (certainly not Leopard tortoise domed). She does appear somewhat old. If I had to pin a species I would guess golden greek. However, and this is the part I am stumped on, head, forelimbs and hind limbs are almost a salmon pink. Anyone have any thoughts? Haven't had a chance to get pictures yet as I am letting her settle in. thanks. Ian

SweetGreekTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
So I'm not new to the larger tortoise species nor to water or box turtles. However I am somewhat new to the testudo complex. I recently rescued a tort that I am unable to figure out what species it is. It appears to be a female, about 7" in carapace length, golden shell coloration with some minor black speckling. Some black marking on the plastron. Pretty health weight in the hand (haven't weighed her yet). Shell is not highly domed (certainly not Leopard tortoise domed). She does appear somewhat old. If I had to pin a species I would guess golden greek. However, and this is the part I am stumped on, head, forelimbs and hind limbs are almost a salmon pink. Anyone have any thoughts? Haven't had a chance to get pictures yet as I am letting her settle in. thanks. Ian
Based on your description it sounds like a Testudo graeca terrestris (Mesopotamian), aka "Golden Greek." The coloring and size matches. Do you have pictures to help us confirm?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ian: I'm gonna' have to wait for pictures, but I'm guessing Russian!

Last edited: