Stress and not eating.

Joe S

5 Year Member
So I recently renovated my leopard's enclosure into a closed chamber mid day yesterday. I left food out for him last night and replaced it today. However he is not eating much. He might be nibbling at it but I cannot tell.

I am also trying to increase the diversity of the items I feed him. He was raised on mazuri pellets from the breeder and for the most part has been reluctant to try new foods. "He" is 3.5 inches or so as well.

My question is would the lack of eating full meals be due to the stress of the renovated enclosure, addition of high humidity, and more diverse food selection?

Is there anything I can do aside from waiting to get him to eat? I am new to the tortoise world as I only keep a small spider tort and a leopard an have so for a few months. I just worry about the little leopard not eating but I assume as with most Chelonia they can go for a while with out eating. Any advice would be lovely. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First make sure the temps are right. Not too hot, not too cold. With the higher 80% humidity! the temps should never go below 80. Also, finely chop the greens or other foods you are trying to introduce and mix with some Mazuri. As he does eat this, slowly reduce the amount of Mazuri and replace with more greens. Spritz with water when feeding, makes it harder for them to pick and choose. Also, they can go quite a while without food. Keep hydrated and let him get accustomed to his new surroundings. It should go faster then when they are first brought home.

Joe S

5 Year Member
Excellent. Thank you. My temps go from about 100 under the basking area, gradually down to 82 degrees at the farthest end during the day. And temps hold around 81 or so at night. Humidity ranges too but is in 80s.

Thanks for the suggestion with the foods. That's what we are trying. Doing the normal greens and then we mix the new stuff and mazuri in with it all. I will give it some more time.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Are you trying to do away with the mazuri? Yes, the changes can cause a disruption in the torts world..therefore creates some change stress...so yes, patience is necessary as well as diligent routine on your part for the tort to get back on track....