Strange behaviour-updated R.I.P. Elvis the tortoise

FeebeeDeebee

Location (City and/or State)
Haworth, West Yorkshire
hey, my 5 month old Horsfield is acting strangely at present and don't know whether to be worried or not...he's off his food and seems to be sleepier than usual (though he is a very lazy boy), he is also doing a strange kind of 'roar' no noise but extending his neck and opening his mouth wide.
New to this so not sure if this is normal? He is otherwise ok, pooping ok and looks ok...many thanks for any advice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your four temperatures and what equipment do you use to maintain them?

Its normal for them to slow down this time of year, but the gaping and neck stretching might be an indicator of a problem.

FeebeeDeebee

Haworth, West Yorkshire
What are your four temperatures and what equipment do you use to maintain them?

Its normal for them to slow down this time of year, but the gaping and neck stretching might be an indicator of a problem.

Not sure what four temps there should be? But temp in shade and on basking rock are spot on...he has a uv lamp and heat light. I guessed they'd slow down towards winter but the loss of appetite and the strange silent roar are worrying, if not improvement I'll take him to the vets

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spot on to you might be different than what I think is spot on.

The four temps you should know are warm side, cool side, basking area, and night time low. I ask for this info because lack of appetite and respiratory infections are both often related to cool temps. Can you tell us what those four temps are and what sort of heat lamp and UV bulb you are using? There are many types and wattages of each, and this might be related to your issues.

FeebeeDeebee

Haworth, West Yorkshire
Ok the uv is a exo terra one don't know what watt, the basking heat lamp is 65 watts. The basking area is around 75, his hide is 68, cool side 68, warm side 73 and night time low where his house is is about 60. He has his heat lamp on for 8hours plus a day and uv is on for 5/6 hours

FeebeeDeebee

Haworth, West Yorkshire
He died sometime in the night...am so upset, I followed all advice on living conditions etc so don't know what I did wrong. Feel so so guilty but the symptoms only started 2 days ago. Devastated!

FeebeeDeebee

Haworth, West Yorkshire
following on from my thread yesterday about my tort exhibiting strange behaviour my poor little guy passed away during the night. Am devastated. Tried so hard to provide everything he needed and just don't know what I did wrong

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I took the time to read your other thread.
It seems that your tortoise might have had a physical condition which you didn't notice, and you couldn't help.

You tried the best you could, and don't be too hard on yourself, there might not have anything you could have done.

I suggest taking your time to deal with this loss.

And then, perhaps adopt a tortoise and apply your newfound knowsledge and experience.
A nice way to honor your little Elvis, and help another tortoise.
I don't think it was your doing that resulted to this, it might be a correlation of circumstances.

So sorry for your loss.

Take care,
Joey

Last edited:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I'm so sorry for your loss, theres never anything easy about a loss of a pet no matter how long they've been in your life.
From how quickly the symptoms started and he passed I'm thinking theres not much you could have done about it. Seeing how young it is I wonder if maybe he wasn't started right as a hatchling since it seems too many people have these problems, so its entirely possible it wasn't your fault. All you can do for him at this point is learn from the experience and do what you can to keep moving along.

Again, my condolences for your loss :<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, darn it! I'm so sorry this happened.

The only way to know would be to have a necropsy. Try to not take it to heart. It sounds to me as if you were trying really hard to do all you could for this tortoise.

FeebeeDeebee

Haworth, West Yorkshire
Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your kind comments...I'm still leaning towards blaming myself but i'm never going to know. Had him booked into the vets this morning too, just wish I could've had him seen sooner x

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
By the time the symptoms appear it's often too late to save the animal. All we can do is grieve and keep learning and save the next ones.

I don't know what substrate you used or its humidity level. For the next tortoise, raise the warm temps higher and run the UVB light longer, 14 hours a day. Maybe start with an older animal. They may not be as cute as a hatchling, but they've already demonstrated hardiness.

Some animals are incredibly hardy and allow us time to learn their best care over time while we figure it out. Some animals are delicate and must be treated with extra care.

So sorry for your loss.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
blame is part of the grieving process, one day you'll remember and realize you did all you could, but I don't expect you not to blame yourself right now. One thing: You were getting him to the vet-within a few days of the symptoms showing up, you were doing exactly the right steps, if you were like "Well I'll give it a little time before making an appointment" things would be a little different, for these reasons when i'm in doubt or something's weird I go right to the vet no questions asked.

FeebeeDeebee

Haworth, West Yorkshire
By the time the symptoms appear it's often too late to save the animal. All we can do is grieve and keep learning and save the next ones.

I don't know what substrate you used or its humidity level. For the next tortoise, raise the warm temps higher and run the UVB light longer, 14 hours a day. Maybe start with an older animal. They may not be as cute as a hatchling, but they've already demonstrated hardiness.

Some animals are incredibly hardy and allow us time to learn their best care over time while we figure it out. Some animals are delicate and must be treated with extra care.

So sorry for your loss.

Thanks...will definitely get an older one next time, babies seem too delicate and I was always worrying. Wondered if tortoises are susceptible to human infections as my 2 year old has just had bronchitis (he didn't handle him)? Was just a thought, though his symptoms seemed to look like a choking motion rather than gasping (as he was silent and not a constant symptom)?

He had a coco coir substrate that was kept moist but not too wet. Will definitely keep heat and uv on longer if I try again. Many thanks for your advice

FeebeeDeebee

Haworth, West Yorkshire
blame is part of the grieving process, one day you'll remember and realize you did all you could, but I don't expect you not to blame yourself right now. One thing: You were getting him to the vet-within a few days of the symptoms showing up, you were doing exactly the right steps, if you were like "Well I'll give it a little time before making an appointment" things would be a little different, for these reasons when i'm in doubt or something's weird I go right to the vet no questions asked.

Thanks very much, appreciate it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I am so sorry this happened. :( It sounds like you did everything right, so please do not make it YOUR fault! As has been said, some tortoises are very delicate, and it wasn't your fault at ALL, okay?
I feel terrible that this happened to you, and to little Elvis! :<3: