Stock tank for encloser?

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
Thinking about getting a stock tank for an outdoor enclosure for my Russian tort. Good or bad idea???

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
ok... this is much harder than I thought it should be. It seems concrete blocks or some kind of wood is best. I live in Florida so I feel like wood would not be a good idea either.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can use fencing. Just make sure the pattern is small enough the tort can't get thru. Lay fencing on the ground to prevent digging out and then place fencing on the sides on top of what's on the ground. Put a fenced top on it to prevent him from climbing out and predators from get in.
You could also use pressure treated deck boards to build the sides.
You could also use 2x4's that you cover with a weather/water proof paint, stain, or polyurethane coating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thinking about getting a stock tank for an outdoor enclosure for my Russian tort. Good or bad idea???
Too small, and it will flood in the rain.

I like small species to be housed in larges cages. I use these chicken coops from Tractor Supply. Just make visual barrier around the bottom with plywood or 2x12s.
IMG_7276.jpg

I attached a heated shelter to the outside so it wouldn't take up any interior floor space. You can put two of these together to make 8x16 feet if you want to go bigger. You can also use dog kennels the same way, and those might be found cheaply on Craig's list or FB.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
When I came across this thread I searched up stock tank and I saw a raised garden bed which inspired me to use it instead of wood for my outdoor enclosure. Just a question but I was wondering whether I can use this as my outdoor enclosure, I’ll have buy 2 since the height is too small. I’ll add 1 foot of substrate add mesh on top and build a night box . Do yall think it’s safe? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLRVLK33/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have seen those before and thought they would work great. I would get the lightest colored one though. I think the silver and gray may get too hot. I'd get the beige one.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
You can use fencing. Just make sure the pattern is small enough the tort can't get thru. Lay fencing on the ground to prevent digging out and then place fencing on the sides on top of what's on the ground. Put a fenced top on it to prevent him from climbing out and predators from get in.
You could also use pressure treated deck boards to build the sides.
You could also use 2x4's that you cover with a weather/water proof paint, stain, or polyurethane coating.
I have seen those before and thought they would work great. I would get the lightest colored one though. I think the silver and gray may get too hot. I'd get the beige one.
Thank you! I feel like I'm getting closer to a final idea. My biggest concern in the fire ants but I got some stuff today for that. I think a solid bottom and the wood sides maybe easiest!!

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Too small, and it will flood in the rain.

I like small species to be housed in larges cages. I use these chicken coops from Tractor Supply. Just make visual barrier around the bottom with plywood or 2x12s.
View attachment 366649

I attached a heated shelter to the outside so it wouldn't take up any interior floor space. You can put two of these together to make 8x16 feet if you want to go bigger. You can also use dog kennels the same way, and those might be found cheaply on Craig's list or FB.
This was 3' x 8', that is still to small? What is a normal size for a 6" tort?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This was 3' x 8', that is still to small? What is a normal size for a 6" tort?
Is it 3x8 at the bottom, or is it the type with the flared opening and a smaller foot print? 3x8 is okay, but bigger would be better. It helps maintain their health if they have more room to walk around in their enclosures.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Is it 3x8 at the bottom, or is it the type with the flared opening and a smaller foot print? 3x8 is okay, but bigger would be better. It helps maintain their health if they have more room to walk around in their enclosures.
it's a large oval container, 3' across, 8' long and 2' deep

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is it metal? If so, it will be quite heavy. The largest ones I have used for tortoise enclosures were 6 feet by 2 feet.

Also if you use it outdoors and get a really heavy rain, the water can sometimes get too deep for the tortoise(s) and drowning can occur. For this reason, I used to make sure any stock tanks I used for terrestrial turtles and tortoises outdoors were higher at one end than the other (I put a brick or two under one end), so water would accumulate at one end and not cover the entire floor. Another option is to drill a few holes in the bottom, but then it is no longer useful for holding water if you ever wanted to use it for that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another problem to consider with a 3x8 stock tank is that those tall sides are going to block the sun most of every day, except mid day, when you don't want full direct sun. That is one of the considerations when I said it is too small. 24 inch tall sides in a much larger enclosure would create some shade, but the tortoise can always find sun.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Is it metal? If so, it will be quite heavy. The largest ones I have used for tortoise enclosures were 6 feet by 2 feet.

Also if you use it outdoors and get a really heavy rain, the water can sometimes get too deep for the tortoise(s) and drowning can occur. For this reason, I used to make sure any stock tanks I used for terrestrial turtles and tortoises outdoors were higher at one end than the other (I put a brick or two under one end), so water would accumulate at one end and not cover the entire floor. Another option is to drill a few holes in the bottom, but then it is no longer useful for holding water if you ever wanted to use it for that.
It's galvanized steel, weights 95lbs, I didn't think it would be any heavier that hauling a bunch of concrete blocks. I wanted to add about a foot of dirt and other terrain, also a high spot so he could get off the ground when it did rain alot.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Another problem to consider with a 3x8 stock tank is that those tall sides are going to block the sun most of every day, except mid day, when you don't want full direct sun. That is one of the considerations when I said it is too small. 24 inch tall sides in a much larger enclosure would create some shade, but the tortoise can always find sun.
I was thinking about adding about a foot of dirt and other terrian and landscaping so the sides would be about a foot after. I think wooden sides maybe the easiest at this point lol. I'll just have to really keep up on the fire ants

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was thinking about adding about a foot of dirt and other terrian and landscaping so the sides would be about a foot after. I think wooden sides maybe the easiest at this point lol. I'll just have to really keep up on the fire ants
Here are some other ways too. The corrugated plastic roofing sheets are UV protected and should last a long time in your area. These are also smooth and can't be climbed by those feisty escape artist Russians.
IMG_2624.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG

This method is quick and easy, but also expandable and moveable:
IMG_2679.JPG
IMG_2680.JPG

zovick

10 Year Member!
It's galvanized steel, weights 95lbs, I didn't think it would be any heavier that hauling a bunch of concrete blocks. I wanted to add about a foot of dirt and other terrain, also a high spot so he could get off the ground when it did rain alot.
The stock tank has to be lifted all at once, though. You can move cinder blocks one or two at a time so all the weight of the enclosure is not being lifted all at once. A 3' x 8' stock tank will be a bit unwieldy to move unless you have a helper.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL