Still skittish

Walter21

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello everyone,
I got my Russian Tortoise Walter about 6 months ago. I was wondering how long it takes for them to get used to their owner? Walter goes in his shell a lot when I pick him up or freezes in place when I walk in the room. Is this normal?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If you pick him up he thinks you’re going to eat him so yes, that’s normal. He’s probably never going to get used to that.

As for freezing, does he have enough places where he can hide and feel safe? He might feel unable to hide and is trying to stay camoflaged by not moving.

Is he in a glass tank? It looks very small.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Some tortoises desensitize to people and acclimate quickly, and some never do.

Tell us more about how you are housing and feeding your tortoise. Is it indoors all the time, or did it have an outdoor enclosure in summer?

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I got one about 6 months ago. He did the same thing for the first week. I started doing and saying something exactly the same everyday and the same time and he got used to me. So here is what I did, He there JUSTICE, BREAKFAST TIMMMEEEE.... And then I scratched the very back of his shell...his hiney... Within a week he reacted to the crinkle of his food bag, waited to get his hiney scratched and then ran over to get his breakfast. BTW, All mealtimes are called BREAKSFAST around here. It's just a word that is consistent. They can learn repeated words, noises and timing, doors opening, and all your habits. If you are not consistent it will be harder for him to learn. If you have a more timid one you may have to go slower and be more understanding....

Walter21

Maryland
Hello and welcome.

Some tortoises desensitize to people and acclimate quickly, and some never do.

Tell us more about how you are housing and feeding your tortoise. Is it indoors all the time, or did it have an outdoor enclosure in summer?

He is in side all the time except when I would take him outside for walks and yes he is in a glass tank but I have tint around the bottom half. I am currently building a much bigger house that would be made out of wood and plan to construct and outdoor enclosure come spring time. IMG_2456.jpg

I feed him every morning before I leave for work (he is still asleep since I leave about 6:50 a.m.) he has no problem eating and on the weekends he is waiting at his bowl if I sleep in.

I see other Russian tortoises cuddle and stick their next out far to their owners but Walter seems to be scared.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
So as I say, when you feed him in the morning even if he is sleeping a little rub on the hiney will give his contact with you and he will expect it very quickly. Talking as you bring the food to him will even become comforting to him.

BTW, he is a cutie pie....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is in side all the time except when I would take him outside for walks and yes he is in a glass tank but I have tint around the bottom half. I am currently building a much bigger house that would be made out of wood and plan to construct and outdoor enclosure come spring time.
I feed him every morning before I leave for work (he is still asleep since I leave about 6:50 a.m.) he has no problem eating and on the weekends he is waiting at his bowl if I sleep in.

I see other Russian tortoises cuddle and stick their next out far to their owners but Walter seems to be scared.

None of my russians ever cuddled or stuck their necks out for petting for me. If he is up waiting at the food bowl for you, then he's not scared. That is a pretty bold move and shows he knows whats coming.

Tortoises generally aren't cuddly pets. You can try to touch him and desensitize him more, but most of them will remain leery of that sort of interaction. Give it a try for a while and see if he gets used to it or not.

Walter21

Maryland
None of my russians ever cuddled or stuck their necks out for petting for me. If he is up waiting at the food bowl for you, then he's not scared. That is a pretty bold move and shows he knows whats coming.

Tortoises generally aren't cuddly pets. You can try to touch him and desensitize him more, but most of them will remain leery of that sort of interaction. Give it a try for a while and see if he gets used to it or not.

Okay well if you are saying that is kind of normal I feel better. I think he is definitely more comfortable with me than when I first got him. I’ll just keep giving him love and talking to him maybe he will open up A little more.

Thanks for the advise!

tortoiseplanet

Earth
So as I say, when you feed him in the morning even if he is sleeping a little rub on the hiney will give his contact with you and he will expect it very quickly. Talking as you bring the food to him will even become comforting to him.

BTW, he is a cutie pie....

When a tortoise reacts to being scratched on their rear carapace it’s because they are scared. When tortoises are in the wild and feel scratches on their back it’s most likely a predator pecking on it. Since a tortoise cannot see behind itself it’s natural reaction is to frantically move. Tortoises aren’t intelligent enough to know when they are actually safe in an indoor environment and will always get frightened, especially when that is done.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Tortoises aren’t intelligent enough to know when they are actually safe in an indoor environment and will always get frightened, especially when that is done.

PLEASE give them more credit than that. Mine is absolutely not afraid of a little rub and looks forward to it. They may be fearful at first but they have the ability to learn and like things that can feel good.

Destben

Kansas
My tort was completely trusting at first then when she got sick I had to give her shots and she was scared of me after that. I have been holding her and hand feeding her a lot and she’s back to the point where I can touch her head without her retracting into her shell. I still have a long way to go before she really trusts me again though.

Destben

Kansas
My tort was completely trusting at first then when she got sick I had to give her shots and she was scared of me after that. I have been holding her and hand feeding her a lot and she’s back to the point where I can touch her head without her retracting into her shell. I still have a long way to go before she really trusts me again though.

No more then 10 mins a day though I didn’t want to stress her out to much or let her get cold.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Okay well if you are saying that is kind of normal I feel better. I

My Russian is an amazing animal but she almost never tolerates touching. She makes my cats look like dogs. :)

It’s not easy for us humans but we have to accept our tortoises as they are. Consistency helps but won’t turn him into a golden retriever. He can still be fascinating, bright, and active. Just not a hugger!