Star Tortoise Help Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunilbothra

5 Year Member
Hi Tortoise Lovers,

I stay in Mumbai India, I have a 4 months old star tortoise.. I give him water soaking for almost 30 mins daily and sun basking for an hour.

The problem is my star doesnt drink water at all.

Can any one tell me what should i do.. i have kept a shallow water plate too in his enclosure.

Thanks in advance for replying.

Sunil

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
He is most likely getting water, you just don't see him doing it. With as much soaking as he is getting plus having water in the enclosure, I think your pretty safe.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

I also think that your tortoise is fine with the soaks and the water in the enclosure. Just because you don't see them drinking doesn't mean they don't drink.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
if you're soaking and keeping a water dish in the enclosure, it should be fine. welcome.

sunilbothra

5 Year Member
Thanks Friends for the warm welcome and quick replies...

Is there any way to check if the tort is hydrated or not? he passes loo properly at the time when soaking is given.. occassionaly while eating food he urinates too... 2-3 times a week he passes uric acid extract (white stone like substance) too. I keep a calcium block in the water at the time of his soaking and also in his water plate in enclosure

Hi diet includes - Carrots, Tomato, Chicory Leaves, Romainne Lettuce, Corriander.. He doesnt eat grass or flowers tried my best to feed him.

Regards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sunil:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

sunilbothra

5 Year Member
Hi.. I am based out of Mumbai, India and i have recently got a four month old star tortoise as a pet.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Best to give your tortoise warm soak twice a day (keep the water below his head to avoid drowning). Even if he doesn't drink, tortoises can absorb water via the tail. I never seen mine drinking either but soak them to keep them hydrated. Leave a shallow water bowl in his enclosure, they will drink/soak at their own time. The white stuff is normal, as long as it's white and creamy.

sunilbothra

5 Year Member
Uploading Pic of my Star :)

I do Soak him daliy... But just want to be sure he is healthy and fine..

He has lots of issues with eating too..

Doesnt eat Grass or Flowers..

Eats only - Carrots, Chicory Leaves, Romaiine Lettuce, Corriander and Tomato... I know most of them are bad but he is just to fussy...

Attachments

• IMG-20111213-00070.jpg
    IMG-20111213-00070.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20111130-00061.jpg
    IMG-20111130-00061.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20111213-00069.jpg
    IMG-20111213-00069.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20111213-00073.jpg
    IMG-20111213-00073.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 24

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I think Sunil was also inquiring about the proper food.
Sunil, welcome to the Forum.
I have Russians, so I'm not familiar with food yours requires. Sorry.
Someone will be along to answer you.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
urates would be better if pasty, gloopy, & smooth, instead of grainy, stony and gritty.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sunil, Care sheets on Star tortoises are very rare. This was the best I found, I hope it helps you...

DIET: The Star tortoise is a herbivore. It feeds primarily on large amounts of different fibrous, low quality grasses and when available, leafy weeds and greens. A very high fiber, low protein, and calcium rich diet will ensure good digestive tract function as well as smooth growth. Avoid over reliance upon 'supermarket' greens, which typically contain vastly inadequate fiber levels, excessive pesticide residues, and are too rich in sugar content as they are designed for human consumption. While carrion might be eagerly consumed if encountered, the Star tortoise should NOT be fed any meat-based protein. Geochelone elegans fed on cat or dog foods frequently die from renal failure or from impacted bladder stones of solidified urates. Star tortoises are a grazing species; every effort should be made to duplicate this diet in captivity. Fruit should be offered very, very rarely if at all.

Grasses (timothy, Bermuda)

Leafy greens (dandelions, clover, endive, grape leaves, mulberry leaves etc.)

Weeds

Cactus pad (despined)

Additional calcium supplementation is essential. Powdered calcium can be sprinkled all foods. It is suggested that one use calcium supplemented with vitamin D3 if the animal is being maintained indoors and calcium without D3 if it is outdoors. Provision of a cuttlefish bone, which can be gnawed if desired, is also recommended.

sunilbothra

5 Year Member
Thanks Everyone.. Hope u have seen the pics of my tort... do you thinks its healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.