Star Tort Stella is not eating and suspected RNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

serphinox

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Need some help and advice.
ST Stella hasnt been pooping alot lately. Just one or 2 small poops a day and eats very little like one petal at max for over 3 days.

2 days ago, ST Stella blew bubbles on the left nostril when she snug her head into her shell.

I immediately raise the temp by changing the bulb to a halogen spotlight 35Watts 1foot away from ST Stella and every morning 8AM place her outside sunbath in a tub of baby warm water.

This morning she pooped. White things came out which is good but and alot of wet greenish poop. As she started to walk around, she kept pooping and peeing. At least 3 times before she settle down on the corner and slept.

its 5:30 pm already. i dont see bubbles already but i heard her sneezed a while ago and no bubbles but still wet nose. My worry is she never ate anything i left her. Not even her favorite hibiscus petals.

How long should i wait before she starts eating?
Is there anything else i can do?
How long should i wait before i see a vet?

Help... kinda worried for her.

Background:
She stays indoor in Malaysia where temperature's always 30 Celcius. her basking area is about 35 celcius. Her home is a 3feet by 2 feet house.
2 x hiding place. 1 a log another cut out green plastic container.
1 x feeding bowl
1 x water bowl.
Substrates used
Exo Terra Wood chips XXL - 3 months in used.
1 x T8 Exoterra reptiglo 10.0
1 x 35watt Halogen spotlight

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
you are doing everything right with respect to temps and surrounding.... well regarding the poop you shouldn't be worrying about how many times or how little your tort poops.... only thing that's important is the solidity, colour and odour of the poop... if it's dark green, solid, not very stinky then everything is alright with the stomach of your tort..... you mentioned the wet poop.... it could be that the poop got wet due to the urine around or with it... well that is just what i think cause this happens with my torts too but after some time from them excreting....

regarding the RNS and the wet nose since you have already taken the right measures... everything will be back to normal in a short while.... but if you still see the runny nose after 2-3 days of you raising the temps then you should visit a vet... better safe than sorry..... you're lucky you have certified reptile vets out there :) i hope STELLA gets well soon :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I don't own a star, but the runny stools and frequent pees are concerning to me because it can be signs that your tort is or can become dehydrated. If he isn't eating or drinking water, any respitory infection can be very dangerous. Do you have assess to a pharmacy or WalMart? They sell a clear liquid product for human babies that are dehydrated due to vomiting and diarrhea. It has electrolytes that help restore minerals and vitamins that they lose when they are sick. Here, the product is called Pedialite. There, I don't know what they call it, but if it's liquid with electrolytes, then get a couple of bottles and give your star baths in this liquid. It will help him to fight the respitory infection. Keep the temps warmer than usual until he gets better. If he gets worse, take him to a vet asap.

serphinox

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reassurance. Ive gotten her a heat lamp at night so she can sleep in the dark. I'll monitor her for another day. Eyes are less swollen but still has wet nose once a while.
Just ate 2 petals only. Gave her some french beans to raise the protein but she ate none.
If this goes on, Vets the next solution.

Sadly in Malaysia, Vets expensive and medicine are scarce.

serphinox

5 Year Member
Today at 10AM she ate 1/2 inch of French Beans without the beans (I was told that its a good booster if the tort has a bad diarrhea but stop after recovery), 2 Hibiscus Petals and a cube of cooked Carrot. Warm bathed for 40 minutes under the morning sun. Looks a little active now. I still see wet clear mucus from her left nostril during bath but not now.
Still monitoring.
Thank you for your concerns and advises.

Anyone in PJ area with Star Tort experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.