'common' cold or RNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Hello guys!

Is there such this as a "common" cold for star tortoise?

My tortoise about 3 days ago started making this clicking sounds, and then the next day there were bubble on her nose, so i took her to the vet, I was given Salinase drops to drop on her nose 2x everyday until the symptoms disappear. This is the 2nd day i've been using it, The nose bubbles and runny nose is gone, but she still makes the clicking sound though its not as often as before. Does that mean the drops are working? How long does it usually take for the symptom to disappear? She eats, pees (not much poo) and walks around fine (like normal).

How do I differentiate cold and RNS or they are the same? I was not given any anti-biotics for my tort, just the drops and warm her even at night.

last question, how do you guys put drops on their noses??? I was told to just drop it on her nose and it will flow in the nostrils. Do i need to turn her on her back before dropping the drops on her nostrils? Their nostrils are very tiny!

geekinpink

5 Year Member
follow up- she does not have runny nose anymore but i did see a bubble again, just one time only though...should I find another vet???

samstar

5 Year Member
If it's clear running nose/bubbles and no mucus, it could just be an allergy which could clear up providing she is eating and active.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
oh, you mean if rns the nose produces mucous as well? what color? same as humans? hehehe sorry, these are all new to me!

she is active and eating very well

I still hear the clicking sound but not too often now, i hope she's getting better...I tried finding another vet, i hate that all vets here seems to just accept dogs and cats.

Homerist

10 Year Member!
Hi there, previously when my star had rns, one of the nostril will appear smaller than the other. This is due mucus hardening around the nostril. So you may want to check.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
hmmm...nostrils are ok, it's actually very clear except for when i just dropped salinase on her nose, she would try to sneeze it out producing a bubble and then a few minutes later, her nose would be dry...

when they have rns, are they inactive and basking a lot?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Runny noses without other symptoms like stopping eating or mucus are typically too dry of a substrate or stress, so it may have just cleared up on its own (saline basically flushes stuff out). Clicking noises may be normal if its from the jaw (my torts does this, kinda a squeaky noise). If you don't see any more symptoms, I wouldn't pursue it any further, just keep a close eye on the tort for any symptoms to appear (and only if they were worse than just a runny nose would I seek treatment such as with antibiotics). If you aren't happy with the vet you went to, you really should try to find another one so you are prepared for future emergencies, even if its a long drive. If your tort is established there, they will be much more willing to see you on short notice in case of an emergency than if you call during the emergency. How often is the tort sneezing? More recently, or when the nose was runny? What is the current state of the symptoms, if any? Not sure how to give drops. What kind of substrate do you use? Haven't heard of basking a lot associated as a symptom of this type of illness, although higher temps can help. Good luck!

geekinpink

5 Year Member
she does not have runny nose anymore...but i do hear the clicking sound still...not as often as before and i can't tell if it's from her jaw :/ so basically all rns symptoms are non- existent i guess. She's very active, i let her out to bask in the sun and she's been running around eating the greens i scattered.

I don't know if she's stressed but if she is it's probably her substrate lol...like on the other thread, i use newspapers laid flat and I have been finding ways to create humidity if i need it due to our country being humid all the time.

samstar

5 Year Member
Newspaper can be very dry, do spray her daily with a plant sprayer, it does help.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I would recommend ditching the newspaper for something more natural to allow burrowing. The newspaper will prevent the leg muscles from developing properly since its slippery. Not a good idea. I'd keep an eye on the clicking noise to figure out where it is coming from. Very likely the jaw. Do you hear it more when the tort eats or drinks? I would want another opinion on spraying a Star when you live in a humid climate already, because from what I know about Stars (not much), they need drier conditions than most torts. Sounds like she is doing well. Make sure when she goes out go get sun she has a secure enclosure (not just let to run around in a large open area), and has hides to make her feel secure and make it seem like a home away from home. Running around like crazy can be a sign of fear and looking for a place to hide, although exercise is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.