Spring mix from local farmers market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
So I bought some spring mix at my local farmer's market. It's organically grown, and when I asked the man selling it what was in it, he said there are over 25 different kinds of lettuce in it. I specifically asked if there was spinach in it, and he said no, only lettuces. I bought it for myself, being I love salads, but was wondering if it would be okay for Ernie? I also asked the gentleman if he could bring a list of all the lettuces in the spring mix, and he said he would do his best, but let me know there are so many different types, that he couldn't guarantee the list would be 100% accurate.

By the way, its delicious =]

Do you think its safe? This is a reputable stand that has constantly been at the farmers market for as long as I can remember. He does not seem shady at all.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It sounds fine to me :) but you could take a picture of it spread out and we could take a look :D

Danny

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I actually meant to post a picture too but it slipped my mind :p I tried to pick out as many different ones as I could, but there's so many! I think I got most of them. Ernie LOVES the darker purplish ones..he picks out and eats all of those ones first :rolleyes: Here you go:

lettuce.jpg

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
What a beautiful mix. My local produce place sells one bulk(4.99 lb) but it does not have that much variety.
Enjoy!!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The top left corner round leaf looks like flat spinach to me. :) Is it a thick leaf?

Danny

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
egyptiandan said:
The top left corner round leaf looks like flat spinach to me. :) Is it a thick leaf?

Danny

Slightly thick, yes. Even if it was spinach, do you think there's enough in the mix to be harmful to him? Its QUITE varied. I can get a huge bag, almost a pound of it, for only $5.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Simple enough to take it out :D If your feeding it almost every day you don't know how much he's eating and even a small amount every day can add up, so why take the chance. ;)

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Being a veteran of many farmers markets I know that some of the sellers there buy the stuff from others and them sell it themselves, that may be why he could not answer your question in detail, In my own personal expierence the people who grow it themselves can usually answer any questions you may have about their products.

S

saurabh1985

spring mix at my local farmer's market.for marketing items.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know they are annoying but sometimes those spammers make me laugh. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I know Danny's stand on spinach and feeding it to our tortoises. But do you really think that a few leaves of spinach would hurt our tortoises? It know Danny's rebuttal is that it would be a build up over time (do you like how I can argue both sides myself?) but I just don't believe that the small amount found in Spring Mix is enough to build up over time. What about the good properties in spinach? My generation was brought up being told that spinach was good for us, I personally don't eat it but I DO feed it to my tortoises. While I probably wouldn't feed great gobs of spinach to my animals, I do add it to their tortoise salad kinda regularly. But I feed a really wide variety of stuff, spinach being a small part of that. But I think that keepers pulling a few leaves of spinach out of a bigger package of Spring mix is kinda silly...or a waste of time...and good spinach. I don't mean any disrespect to the OP or Danny, a moderator will probably move this to the debatable section...:p

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
What was that, 1 in 21 leaves? And it definitely wasn't that big of a leaf either... and perhaps its not even spinach... I'd say go for it!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Thanks everyone for your input =] So far Ernie has been enjoying his new spring mix =] [I think he actually likes it better than the bagged kind!]

Surprisingly, it stays fresher longer than the store bought kind as well.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oh I'm so jealous! What a great variety.
The dark purple leaves are one of Nelson's favorites too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.