[split] When adding a second tort what propper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
When adding a second tort what propper?

Hey, it won't be for a while likely a year but I was thinking of adding a second leopard in with Tank. I know the breeder we are friends he just lives down the street and is a member of this forum but hasn't been on in a while.

If I know his tortoises are not sick and have produced healthy babies do I still keep isolate for a while?

If so how long and what signs am I looking for in order to tell if the new guy is ready for moving in with tank?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
RE: When adding a second tort what propper?

A quarantine period is always wise. Even if the disease risk is minimal, it gives you an opportunity to ensure that the animal is acclimating. It's can be harder to tell who's eating and who's defecating when there are more than one.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario

That is very true few months isolation then?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario

Thanks

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama

Usually tortoises in general don't do well in pairs. Not sure specifically how leopards are. Just curious, why do you want to add a second tortoise? Tortoises are generally solitary animals and do better by themselves. They don't require buddies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario

Well adults are not easy to come by in Canada and if you do find them they are extremely expensive. I would like a pair one do so I am going to take my chances on a second tort and them being opposites.

Jd3

5 Year Member
tyguy35 said:
Well adults are not easy to come by in Canada and if you do find them they are extremely expensive. I would like a pair one do so I am going to take my chances on a second tort and them being opposites.

So basically you started this thread with your mine made up and not actually wanting advice?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Jd3 said:
tyguy35 said:

So basically you started this thread with your mine made up and not actually wanting advice?

He asked for advice about quarantining/isolation. He didn't ask for advice about keeping tortoises in pairs.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario

Thank you, I have always wanted two but it just hasn't been the right time. With the year our two I'm going to be doing well for myself and I'm hoping to create a reall nice large environment zoo style haha. Also just wanna make sure I do it right when I do it.

Jd3

5 Year Member
When adding a second tort what propper?

If you really want to breed, groups are usually much better and even then you need separate enclosures and plans to deal with the aggression.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I highly recommend at least three and not a pair. They will all fare much better.

I also agree with Jaizei about the quarantine period for all the reasons stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.