Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
I'm thinking of adding another tort to our family. I currently have a male Russian who is accustomed to living solo, so the new tort will have its own enclosure. I'll be splitting Indy's 12' x 6' enclosure in half, so each tort would have a 6' x 6' space.

I can't decide what type of tort to get. They're all fascinating creatures. I grew up with Desert tortoises and would love to get one of those, but I think 6' x 6' may be a little small for a desert. In the last few years I've fallin in love with Russian personalities, so I may get a second Russian. I also think that black greeks, forest hingebacks, and spider torts are gorgeous, but I don't know what their personalities are like. Are they as personable as Russians? Are there other tort species out there that are as personable as Russians? There are so many choices, but I can only get one. It'll be in our family for a long long time, so I want to make sure its a good one.

FYI - I live in an Southern Cali in a hot, dry environment. It'll be an outdoor tort for the most part, so a small tort that enjoys lots of sunshine is ideal.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Of those, I'd go w/ the Greek, as it's care/needs will be nearly identical to those of your Russian.

The hingeback needs a much more humid environment, so to accomdate it's needs will not be optimal for your Russian (if you're dividing the Russian's area), and the spider tortoise, besides being very sensitive to exotic pathogens, is a bit pricy ($600 and up, when you can find one...otoh, the spider is a pretty little tort).

Also, I'd strongly suggest that you build the new addition his own enclosure, at least 6' away from the Russian's, as pathogens/illnesses can travel short distances.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree with Terry. Hingebacks are nothing like Russians - they can be extremely delicate in the acclimation stage. They need a forest floor type environment and are actually what I would consider semi-aquatic.

Spider tortoises do not belong in pet homes. They are a delicate species that is also endangered and they are not big reproducers (one egg at a time, I believe) and are best left to those that can keep them in groups and be dedicated to captive breeding.

My suggestion is to add a second Russian, or the Greek.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
It sounds like if you are looking for a challenge go withh a hingeback, I really like russians personality and know nothing about the others so thats really all I ave to offer, lol :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If your thinking about breeding then I would Russian. You currently have a male correct? Not sure you want to take the chance on a male dominance issue happening.

Otherwise, I am going to say Hingeback. To me, they have more personality then a Russian or Greek. Yes, they do need a bit more work, but they are worth it. :cool:

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Think I would go with Russian or Ibera Greek, also have you considered Hermanns? Another personable hardy species, simliar to Russians care?
I love my Bells Hinges, but yes as the others have mentioned-quite different care needed to keep them happy.
Good luck with your decision
Louise

Status
Not open for further replies.