Split Scute Sulcatas for jacqui :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well the last 3 of this years 118 totals are for a first for me, split scuted. I think they are awesome. I know jacqui will like them. :D

The cool thing about the two on the left is there split scutes are almost perfectly opposite of each other.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sweet! So are they from the same clutch? You have said you have never before had the split scutes, when we talked in the past. Why do you think you had three show up this time? Anything done differently at all?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep never had any split scutes in the past 8 years, all from the same female. Same temps, but different incubator, this is the second year ive used it. These were the last 2 to come out too. So weird, but really cool. They really are a yin and yang.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
There is just something magical about babies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I know they are awesome. How they run off when you place them back into the enclosure after a soak. So peaceful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, you have a tortoise infestation. :p:). The split scutes are too cool. I wish i had room. It would be great to have the two. Beautiful babies.

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
So... I'm new and stupid... What are you looking at in first picture and what are split scutes!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Hey let's make this a split scute thread! :D it can be any turtle/tortoise! (if turtles even have split scutes :p) AustinASU has a leopard named Razor with some split scutes! And I have a leopard named Midas with two!

Attachments

• image-1166905535.png
    image-1166905535.png
    782.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1859837610.png
    image-1859837610.png
    830.4 KB · Views: 62

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Annaliisas said:
So... I'm new and stupid... What are you looking at in first picture and what are split scutes!

Their shells have a split where there should be one whole. The little pieces ya know??

In that case here's sharkie with his split scute! It's the reason I picked him out of about 60!

Attachments

• image-2424659154.png
    image-2424659154.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 52

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
Here is a 2 year old with a ton. Just drove to nevada and recued him today

Attachments

• IMAG0385.jpg
    IMAG0385.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 83

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Splite scute really makes tort unique.
I like this :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Annaliisas said:

Scutes make up the top portion of the shell called the carapace. They are the square or rectangular shapes on the tortoises shell. Sometimes during incubation they will split like shown in the photos that have been attached.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortadise said:
Annaliisas said:

Scutes make up the top portion of the shell called the carapace. They are the square or rectangular shapes on the tortoises shell. Sometimes during incubation they will split like shown in the photos that have been attached.

And I really love split scutes and often will get animals just because they have such a scute oddity. Calling them something I collect, sounds cold when your talking a living animal, but it's kinda the correct term at the same time I guess.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Jacqui said:
tortadise said:
Annaliisas said:

And I really love split scutes and often will get animals just because they have such a scute oddity. Calling them something I collect, sounds cold when your talking a living animal, but it's kinda the correct term at the same time I guess.

Its not odd it gives a unique chacteristic to them. Sometimes they turn out really cool. Like zippering down the carapace.

Status
Not open for further replies.