Spiders, ants in my outdoor play area

Status
Not open for further replies.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
Have a outdoor play area made out of a plastic pool in my screened in lanai. I put him out there for a couple of hours s day. It's seems like every time I put him there, there is a new spider web. Is it safe for him to be in contact with spiders, ants, and spiderwebs? He is a Russian tort if that matters. Thanks!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Should be fine unless your tortoise is a hatchling and those are imported red fire ants (Solenopsis invicta Buren) - these are generally found in the southern states, not sure where you're at. He would be encountering arachnids and insects in the wild, so it should be alright.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
Yea, I am in Florida, I will try to keep the ants out of the pool. Other than the ants are the spiders ok, I mean I still will get ride of the webs no mater what, LoL!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you have the plastic pool set up then you can take a piece of kids sidewalk chalk and draw a circle around the ground all around the entire pool and do that a couple of times to get a bit of the powder around as a barrier....ants don't want to cross the chalk....

Spiders are a normal part of the outdoor environment...and I agree..get rid of the webs and keep an eye out for any obvious bad critters in the enclosure...but as an over all it should be fine....

I know I go around and kill at least one black widow from inside of each of the CDTs tortoise hides every few days....I live in the high desert so scorpions and snakes are also a concern....;)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I have Fire Ants all over, and they don't bother the Tortoises one bit......Once you have them, you'll never get rid of them.......I've tried for years, and conceded after trying about everything on and off the market.......

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
EricIvins said:
I have Fire Ants all over, and they don't bother the Tortoises one bit......Once you have them, you'll never get rid of them.......I've tried for years, and conceded after trying about everything on and off the market.......

:tort: We have fire ants and they have bitten one of our radiateds!

Status
Not open for further replies.