Will Ants Hurt My Sulcata?

Tortoise Man

Hi. I have made a nighttime box that I put inside. The purpose of this is to bring my tortoise in at night. I put him in and he goes right to sleep. Then in the morning, I put him back outside. Anyway, The substrate that I put in the box seems to have TINY ants. I guess there is not a lot of ants, but that is just what I can see. Will the ants hurt my tortoise. Thanks for the help!!;):tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Some types of ant will harm tortoises. If they are the biting kind, yes they could kill your tortoise. Black ants usually go after the food and not the tortoise.

Tortoise Man

I can't really tell by looking at them. I guess the only SURE way to tell is to let one go on my finger and see if it bites me!:D:D Thanks

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Get some FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it wherever the ants are. When I had ants I did that and they were gone in 48 hours.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Or just water the crap out of your tortoise enclosures daily . The ants don't like it and move out .

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
So what I do is ( you know the little cups they put hot Sause in for your "to go diners " ) I put a teaspoon of powder and a single cat food pellet in the cup and punch a whole in the lid so the ants can get in the cup for the cat food and they get the powder on them

Joo

5 Year Member
Ants hates garlic. Chop up some and sprinkle outside the box.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ants can kill.
Use DE food grade,or boric acid.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ants can kill.
Use DE food grade,or boric acid.
Some ants can kill. Many/most do not. If your ants locally have a reputation for giving you something more than an itchy nip then maybe there's a problem, but otherwise they're an itrritation for you and probably barely noticed by your tort.

Food grade DE is the way to control them whatever.