1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Sphagnum moss

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Substrate' started by Beasty_Artemis, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Beasty_Artemis

Beasty_Artemis Active Member

So I was soaking and ringing out my red foots sphagnum moss twice a week. But I started noticing that the moss on top was dry but the bottom layer was still wet. Can misting help maintain moisture or do I just have to sponge out my torts moss regularly?
  2. HI Tortoise Rescue

HI Tortoise Rescue Active Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Are you asking whether the moss will hold enough moisture to keep the humidity high? If so, the answer is yes, because moss is very permeable to water molecules, so if any of it is still wet, the same amount of moisture is in the air. That doesn't mean you can't mist it, though. Or have I totally misunderstood your question?

Ken