Spanish moss ok?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Does anyone from the south know if spanish moss is ok to have around tort?
I'm not from, "the south" but here is a copy/paste I found for you that may help answer your question…
I'll paraphrase some of the key points here:
"Spanish moss is home to small insects and other organism. Spanish moss requires treatment or sterilization before use.... Because sphagnum moss grows in highly acidic waters, peat moss is usually germ free. Because of its water-retaining ability and lack of most pathogens, it is ideal for seed-starting mixes or use as a soil amendment. Spanish moss, does not incorporate easily into soil, but does act as an effective mulch, especially for indoor potted plants."
Read more: Spanish Moss Vs. Peat Moss
The idea of the Spanish moss potentially containing contaminants makes me hesitant to suggest using it as a terrarium soil layer. You'll want to minimize the inclusion of any mold or germs in your terrarium.
Potentially answers your question, yes?

halo

Does anyone from the south know if spanish moss is ok to have around tort?
I wouldn't do it. I had a 15 year old tort die 3years ago bc I tried some softer bedding,( the packaging even said it was safe for reptiles & had a pic of a tort on it!). He died a terrible death by becoming impacted after injesting some of it. I'm still really devastated. Please don't try any non-community approved bedding or decorations. It's not worth it.