Soon to be sulcata owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Hey everyone! I'm about to get a 3 month old sulcata in a week and I want to know before I get it..... Any pieces of advice that anyone would have whatsoever? I have a Russian tortoise already so I know the basics but I just want some tips on ANYTHING Thanks! ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep them separated and read the threads at the bottom of my post. They are all good info for a sulcata hatchling upto a year. BTW Congrats, good luck, don't forget pics:D

jason g.

5 Year Member
Congratulations on your baby. Think big when it comes to enclosures it will save time and money. Lol but you probably already know that since you have a Russian.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Ok Im working on building a big out door enclosure but for now he will live in a terrarium! I promise I won't forget pics I love pics too! And him and my Russian can't be together at all? Because they will be in different enclosures FOR SURE but not at all? Anyways I would appreciate more comments on this thread soon thanks!

wellington said:
Keep them separated and read the threads at the bottom of my post. They are all good info for a sulcata hatchling upto a year. BTW Congrats, good luck, don't forget pics:D

I don't see any threads???

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
No not at all. Different tortoises carry different immunities, one could make the other very Ill. As for your sulcata, warmth and hydration, keep your humidity at 80%, don't let your temperature at night drop below 80, cold plus damp is not good, I learnt recently to put a piece of slate under the basking spot, it also does wonders for the general temperatures. I invested in a habistat for my night time ceramic heater and I can't fault it, that way you know it won't drop too cold and put the mind at rest. Three baths a day and sprays in between with warm water. Tom has a really useful thread in his signature that will tell you all this and more

Also eBay is so good for seeds, planting stuff and growing it yourself, even on your window sills, means you know that there's no crap been pumped through them (ie pesticides)

jason g.

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Ok Im working on building a big out door enclosure but for now he will live in a terrarium! I promise I won't forget pics I love pics too! And him and my Russian can't be together at all? Because they will be in different enclosures FOR SURE but not at all? Anyways I would appreciate more comments on this thread soon thanks!

I don't see any threads???

If your on a mobile device they won't show up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go to the top of the sulcata page and read the thread called "How to Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies".

Then either do a forum search, or get on a regular computer and click on the items in my signature. There is a thread called "Hatchling Failure Syndrome" that you really need to read BEFORE your baby is sent... Ask the breeder/seller what substrate the baby is on and how often it is soaked. If they say rabbit pellets and once a week, I would buy elsewhere.

There are several other threads that should help you in there too, including the ones Barb recommended.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
Go to the top of the sulcata page and read the thread called "How to Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies".

Then either do a forum search, or get on a regular computer and click on the items in my signature. There is a thread called "Hatchling Failure Syndrome" that you really need to read BEFORE your baby is sent... Ask the breeder/seller what substrate the baby is on and how often it is soaked. If they say rabbit pellets and once a week, I would buy elsewhere.

There are several other threads that should help you in there too, including the ones Barb recommended.

He is not being shipped I'm picking him up and he lives out doors and I don't know how often he soaks him.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Can they at least walk around together in my room? Or walk around in the yard at the same time? (not in the same box and it's a big yard)

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
The sulcata could kill the other tortoise at someo
point. It may never happen but it could happen. There a few posts on thi forum of sulcata damage. It pretty bad.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
tyguy35 said:
The sulcata could kill the other tortoise at someo
point. It may never happen but it could happen. There a few posts on thi forum of sulcata damage. It pretty bad.

Somoe point? What?!

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
The sulcata may kill your other tortoise at some point.

My iPod keeps adding letters or taking them away.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Sulcatas and russians should NOT share the same yard. They carry different 'germs' and one can make the other sick. The Sulcata will get much bigger quickly and most likely injure or pester the russian.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Tom said:

He is not being shipped I'm picking him up and he lives out doors and I don't know how often he soaks him.

You need to ask these questions of the seller BEFORE you drive over there. We are all trying to help prevent future tragedy for you here. Something we have seen many times. Most of the people breeding and selling sulcatas keep them too dry. It is how it has been done for many years. This ends up killing a percentage of them months down the road, and disfiguring nearly all of them.

How old is the sulcata you are buying and how big?

Your Russian does not Ned a buddy. They won't be "friends". They should not have contact or even be in the same enclosure or yard where the other one was. You should make separate enclosure inside and out, and don't let one into the others space ever.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
The sulcata is 3" in diameter and and is only 3 months old. So just to make it clear they can't even walk around in my room at the same time?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I'm not te sulcata expert but os that small for a sulcata at 3 months. Just wondering I'm not sure. Yes though always have them apart. One could be sick in any way and pass it on.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
tyguy35 said:
I'm not te sulcata expert but os that small for a sulcata at 3 months. Just wondering I'm not sure. Yes though always have them apart. One could be sick in any way and pass it on.

Ok fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.