some pictures

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
of some hatchlings i raised in the house over the winter ....... i had them and thought maybe someone here would enjoy the pics .......

DSCF1863.jpg
DSCF1860.jpg
DSCF1854.jpg
DSCF1851.jpg
DSCF1844.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
they are pretty as youngsters ....... when i was a kid they were all along the lake shore here , we seen them all the time ..... like most other turtles , now they are all but gone , .....

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Those are really pretty. So you'll be releasing them?
Or will you hang onto them?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
no these are cbb ........ they have done some releases in ohio , i seriously doubt it helps , maybe it buys a little more time ..... these guys take like 15-20yrs to breed the first time , and the mortality rate before that occurs is probably close to 100%........ i think the reason behind them becoming eradicated is not that there are no turtles breeding , until the causes are corrected , if that's possible , i believe no matter what they do they will continue to disappear in the wild .....what would help them a bit , and NA wood turtles even more , is federal protection ...... they are protected in every state they occur , but there is still a monetary incentive to poach them and just send them to a state where they are not protected , federal protection would make that a lot harder .... i have heard of entire populations of wood turtles disappearing over a few years , that is obviously poaching , as an environmental cause would be seen in other species ......

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Yeah, I think you're pretty much 100% correct on all points. I wasn't sure what the status of those in your photos were but I'm glad to know they're in good hands.
Nice animals you have there.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
nice pic Anthony , she looks good ..... if you find the time you should put some pics of the rest , i'd certainly like too see your others ...... they are quite personable , and or hungry , i hate walking by them , they make you feel guilty for not feeding them everytime they see you

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
nice pic Anthony , she looks good ..... if you find the time you should put some pics of the rest , i'd certainly like too see your others ...... they are quite personable , and or hungry , i hate walking by them , they make you feel guilty for not feeding them everytime they see you
With their bright yellow chins and shape of the mouth, they always look like they're smiling! I love Blandings! Even though I try to keep the population down, that is one turtle I would definitely add to my pond if I got a chance.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i know if mine ever, well actually with their lifespans , when they needed rehomed , i'd certainly try sending them to you . your effort and passion for this stuff is pretty impressive .......imo