Some of my boxies are started to emerge ... yay! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
It's been warm enough here that some of my boxies are starting to emerge. I keep them in a large wooden box filled with dirt and leaves and every day I go out to see if anyone has come up. It's like finding treasure when I open the lid and see one on top grinning at me (or at least it seems that way!) So far 6 gulfies, 4 Floridas, 3 Easterns, and 1 ornate are up. I miss them so much when they are brumating - can't wait to see the rest. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That must be really cool to see every year. If you took a pic, we could see it too:p :D
Hope they all emerge healthy and happy:)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
How fun! Do you then keep them inside for a few weeks, or do they immediately go to the outside enclosure?
(Do you worry about freezing temps penetrating the box?)

I agree, we need a pic!

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
It's been warm enough here that some of my boxies are starting to emerge. I keep them in a large wooden box filled with dirt and leaves and every day I go out to see if anyone has come up. It's like finding treasure when I open the lid and see one on top grinning at me (or at least it seems that way!) So far 6 gulfies, 4 Floridas, 3 Easterns, and 1 ornate are up. I miss them so much when they are brumating - can't wait to see the rest. :)

That would be fun.What temperatures do they start to emerge?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It's been in the 70s last week (a little cooler this week.) I usually give them a good soak and put them in their enclosures. A couple of them are still half sleeping in their houses in the enclosures, but most of them come out every day. It rarely gets below zero here so I don't worry about them freezing. I will take some pics. (A three toed girl came up today but I forgot to take a pic - the next one I'll get though.)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That is great!! Lucky yoy! I live in icky Ohio. It's so cold here. I love boxies and would love to see pics of yours!! :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's great Kimber. I'll be waiting for another two months at least. Mine usually come up around Easter. Scary stuff.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
It's been in the 70s last week (a little cooler this week.) I usually give them a good soak and put them in their enclosures. A couple of them are still half sleeping in their houses in the enclosures, but most of them come out every day. It rarely gets below zero here so I don't worry about them freezing. I will take some pics. (A three toed girl came up today but I forgot to take a pic - the next one I'll get though.)
[/q

That is so cute they are half a sleep. I would love to see pictures :D

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I envy you. I have one Gulf coast Boxie that popped out of the ground back in late October. Lucky for him I saw him and took him home. Most hatchlings don't survive because of predators, cars, etc. The best thing I did was to see to his care until he is large enough to survive on his own. Then, I'll give him up to his natural habitat. My boxie is up and waits for his food everyday haha :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
i'd love to know more about these wooden boxes you use for them ;)

i'm trying to come up with plans for this myself and could use some of your tips!

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Some of mine are starting to pop out too. Too early, IMO, I don't think they'll eat for quite a while yet. Only in the 50s today, still in the 30s at night. They only went down about a month ago and usually I won't see them until March or April

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Last year my guys came out in mid-February (in Texas). I was so worried about them I've kept them in boxes in the garage this year. And from the looks of the weather, by the middle of February I might be ready to put them out in their enclosures. It's crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.