Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Hey guys,

I just thought I would drop by and post a pic of my interstate rescued boxies. LOL

boxies002.jpg

Since people around here tend to aim and hit the boxies, I leave nothing to chance. I doged traffic to rescue these 2. Not on the same day of course. I would have turned them loose close to where I "found" them, but it was in the middle of a commercial area and I knew they would not have a chance, so, I brought them home.

They are both 3-toed boxies. The one on the left had swollen eyes when rescued and the one on the right has some carapace damage, but nothing severe.

My problem is, I am having a hard time sexing them. I can sex Easterns all day long, but I have always had trouble with 3-toes. The one on the left looks like your typical female, but the one on the right baffels me. Bright red eyes, lots of color, thicker tail, but no concave at all in the plastron. Thoughts?

Thanks guys,

ARKelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You are probably right on the sexing. Pastrom shots would help for more opinions.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Itort said:
You are probably right on the sexing. Pastrom shots would help for more opinions.

Thanks Larry,

I will get some plastron shots later today, but it will probably not help much since they refuse to stick their tails out for me. LOL I pick them up and they suck into their shells.

ARKelly

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Very few adult male Three-toeds have concave plastrons Kelly. :p If you can't get tail pictures, than take some pictures of their back feet. :D It's one of the better ways to tell with male box turtles. Adult males will always have larger and more muscular back feet and legs.

Danny

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
Very few adult male Three-toeds have concave plastrons Kelly. :p If you can't get tail pictures, than take some pictures of their back feet. :D It's one of the better ways to tell with male box turtles. Adult males will always have larger and more muscular back feet and legs.

Danny

That explains why I always have a hard time sexing them then because I am always looking for the concave. :p

Do the males have longer back nails then the female for gripping purposes?

ARKelly

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thats what there for Kelly :p As well as being larger to open up the rear plastron of an uncooperative female. ;)

Danny

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
Thats what there for Kelly :p As well as being larger to open up the rear plastron of an uncooperative female. ;)

Danny

Goodness, I am learning alot of things I never knew. I had no idea that the male could open the females shell.

I have seen my male Eastern's getting dragged along by the female and assumed the feet were stuck. Probably were but still interesting.

Looks like I will be picking your brain before too long Danny. LOL

Thanks again and plastron pics coming soon. :cool:

ARKelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
egyptiandan said:

Danny
That's only if sweet talk, flowers, candy, or liquor doesn't work.:rolleyes::D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My females prefer to be courted with nightcrawlers. :D

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Try soaking them in lukewarm water in a clear glass pan. If it is a male he may show you his goods. And you can see it through the bottom of the pan. My Indian star does this every time he soaks in the water in his enclosure. I think he wants a girlfriend! :)

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Okay, I am such a moron! I "thought" I posted plastron pictures of both boxies, which I did really. The moronic part was, I hit the preview button instead of the post button. Anyways, thinking I have "posted" it, I X'ed out. How stupid can I be? LMAO!

Anyways, the male flashed me the other day thanks to Jess's idea. Thanks Jess! So, I officially have a pair.

One question though. The male has been sitting in the water bowl for 3 days now. Is that normal? When I first aquired him, he was VERY thirsty. Do you think he was dehydrated?

Thanks guys,

ARKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.