Some general behvior/health questions for Bells HB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
1. Bowel movements: how often is normal? Turk has had 2 Since we got him about 3.5 weeks ago. They've been huge though and only during a soak.

2. Breathing: not panting, but audible, like he's whistling through his nose. Not always, but often.

3. After scarfing down a pile of worms, his eyes watered like crazy and snapped his jaws/ yawned. Normal?

4. Do tortoises take in moisture/water through their cloaca during a soak?

Please forgive any naivety on my part, I'm still new to tortoises.

Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Mine seem to do most of their BMs while soaking, too. Does he soak on his own or only forced soaks? How often is based upon how much they are eating and digesting. He may also be eating any stools he has out in his enclosure. Whistling is something I have saw a couple of Bells do, when they are under stress. Double check that everything within his enclosure is good, lights, temps, humidity, privacy, enough room. Often when this has happened it has been a new animal that is dealing with moving kinds of stress. I have not noticed eyes watering after eating worms, but the snapping I have witnessed a few times.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Mine seem to do most of their BMs while soaking, too. Does he soak on his own or only forced soaks? How often is based upon how much they are eating and digesting. He may also be eating any stools he has out in his enclosure. Whistling is something I have saw a couple of Bells do, when they are under stress. Double check that everything within his enclosure is good, lights, temps, humidity, privacy, enough room. Often when this has happened it has been a new animal that is dealing with moving kinds of stress. I have not noticed eyes watering after eating worms, but the snapping I have witnessed a few times.

Thanks. He only does forced soaks, I've never seen him use his pond and never found substrate in it. He usually whistles/ breathes heavy after I give him a soak which he really dislikes, so the stress makes sense, He eats well every day. Variety of various greens (kale is his favorite), the occasional fruit such as kiwi or orange slices and worms once a week. He freaks out over worms and has almost taken my finger off while trying to put them down.

He is in a new enclosure with much more space. ( pics up in the enclosure thread) The humidity is ok with the reptifogger Temps could be a little higher overall but as good as I can get them so far. Waiting on some new CHEs in the mail. I upgraded his hide with some heat rope yesterday. He also has a 95 deg. Basking spot that he uses often.

FYI he finally had another BM this AM after a 30 min soak.

Thanks again for the info. There's so much online, but I prefer to get first hand info from experienced sources like you. I appreciate it!

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Finally! After switching out his pond for a much shallower one, Turk has finally taken his first self-soak. He still only has his BMs about once a week and only when left in a warm soak for 30 minutes or more. Happy he's finally settling into his new enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.