Solaris..female or male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I was told my new redfoot was a female, but I'm not 100% sure about this. So I would like the opinions of some of the experts. I was also told shes a Brazilian. What do you guys think.
89c05464.jpg

86992c4f.jpg

55f75d0e.jpg

18adc506.jpg

cc4c21a1.jpg

66978179.jpg

Her scl is 7 1/2 in and I have no idea how old she is. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no idea, just giving you a bump, so more will see your post :D. Beautiful tort by the way.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Beautiful tort you have there. Unfortunately I'm a RT owner and don't know much about Red Foots. It looks to me like a red foot but I could very well be wrong. As for the sex I am no help. Its personally hard for me to tell from the pictures. But here's a bump. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Definitely female and looks like a Guyana. Shea probably about 6 years old. Brazilians have very red heads and marbling on them. Their is a non cherry head Brazilian but they are not that common and would be very expensive. Good looking redfoot. Lots of people offer the Guyana for sale if you choose to get her a mate.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Very pretty female northern, probably Guyanan (from the Andes in Venezuela east along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts to Brazil.)

Sex keys:
- Males have REALLY long tails
- Males have noticeably indented plastrons, females are flat or slightly outcurved
- The anal scutes form an angled opening in the back. A 'V' shaped of about 90 degrees is female, a wide open almost straight across is a male
- There is a gap between the points of the anal scutes and the nearby marginals. Narrow gaps tail does not fit through easily is female. Wide gap is male.

Race keys:
- Northerners have mostly pale plastrons, Southerners like Brazilian/cherry-head have mostly dark plastrons
- While Brazilians come in a yellow phase or morph, the popular captive ones are the red phase whih generally have significantly more red on the head
- There are other signs that are more subtle- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/red-foots/red-footed--cherry-head

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Great! Now maybe I'll get lucky and Morla will be a boy. Then 7, 8 years down the road they can breed. Lol

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You know what they say- breed snakes and lizards for fast profit, breed tortoises for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.