Socializing Question

Bass.Isles

My grandmother has a 13 year old female sulcata named Frita and I have a 2 year old female sulcata named Isla. My grandmother lives on a farm about 40 miles away and I enjoy visiting, I was wondering what y'all thought about my bringing Isla with me on one of my visits. I know tortoises are not particularly social creatures, but do y'all think it would be harmful for Isla to wander around in Fritas large 30 ft x 17 ft enclosure with her for a bit? I would of course, supervise. Not gonna plop her down then go inside.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The bigger one might hurt the smaller one. Also, two sulcatas will fight. They don't like other tortoises in their territory. If you have a large enough outdoor pen with plenty of sight barriers, you might be able to get away with it, but I doubt it.

Bass.Isles

The bigger one might hurt the smaller one. Also, two sulcatas will fight. They don't like other tortoises in their territory. If you have a large enough outdoor pen with plenty of sight barriers, you might be able to get away with it, but I doubt it.

re read my post, I accidentally hit post before I was finished lol. would that enclosure be considered large enough?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As long as you're right there watching all the time. Normally we like to see a quarantine period of a couple months before tortoises are added. That way you can be sure you're not adding any sickness to a healthy tortoise.

Bass.Isles

well, both of them are perfectly healthy seperately.... and yeah, I'm gonna be right there watching. the enclosure is big enough that I don't really think they'll even really get too close to eachother.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
well, both of them are perfectly healthy seperately.... and yeah, I'm gonna be right there watching. the enclosure is big enough that I don't really think they'll even really get too close to eachother.
You're probably ok. But tortoises can live just fine and be healthy looking and be full of certain pathogens that they can handle. Then come into contact with other pathogens/organisms through poop, etc and suddenly one or both (all) of the animals are sick.
I once made half a dozen thriving, healthy tortoises very ill by introducing one other also very healthy tortoise to the mix. I thought it would be fine because the new tortoise looked and acted fine and was living just 20 miles away.
I'll never not quarantine again.