Soaking habit

Pák

Location (City and/or State)
Esztergom
Hi!

I just curious about other tortoise keepers, soaking habits. If you have interest share with me your practice to learn from it :)

I have a near 6 month old sulcata, and because i am working from 8-16 during the day, i chose to soak him twice a day. But i am only leave him in the water for so long as he like it. As soon as he starts to move around and scratch the side of the "pool" i put him back to the enclosure. With this method the soaking time variates from 10 min to somethimes over 90 minutes. So there was some days when he spend over 3 hours combined in the water. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
30 to 60 minutes is all that's really needed each time. Them trying to get out though is a good thing and not a reason to stop the soak time. All the movement helps to get things inside moving and strength built up in the legs.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
30 to 60 minutes is all that's really needed each time. Them trying to get out though is a good thing and not a reason to stop the soak time. All the movement helps to get things inside moving and strength built up in the legs.
When they grow up and become yard giants, most Sulcata will spend hours just sitting in big mud puddles.
The little ones just don't know what's good for them yet

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When they grow up and become yard giants, most Sulcata will spend hours just sitting in big mud puddles.
The little ones just don't know what's good for them yet
True. But three hours is not needed and too short of soaks should be longer, specially if they are moving a lot. Babies don't usually like to move a lot. Eat, poop sleep with maybe a minute of roaming around lol