Soaking adult hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgamylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
We have two male Hermanns that are somewhere between 3-5 years old. We have been soaking them daily since we got them (one month), partly because we originally weren't sure of their age and then because they were overcoming a nasty battle of worms (thanks, Petsmart!) and the soaks helped them expel the worms. Our vet has given them clean bills of health... so my question is, can we reduce the soaking to every other day? How often do you soak your Hermanns?

Thanks!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Hi!
I have an adult male hermann's, he's probably 65+ years old. The only times he would get a soak is after hibernation, or if he decided to hunt for slugs in the rain and is almost stiff from the cold. I do not soak him more as he absolutely hates it normally. He needs to be half-frozen to be able to enjoy it, and even then he'll be restless after he has warmed up.

Having said that, I need to add that he's not growing any more, so i do not need to worry about growths coming in smooth. He lives outside 24/7 and we do get rain quite a lot, and the grass will be wet in the morning, which means there's more than enough humidity for him around.

Listen to some other opinions and try to find a frequency that suits your tortoises and the environment they live in. :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
My Hermann is 9 years old and we soak him several times a week before he is warmed up. Before he's warmed up in the morning, he loves his baths! Most of the time, he'll do most of his bathroom business in his soaking tub, which means less cleaning up of substrate later. Also, since we keep him in an open top enclosure, we like to soak him to ensure he stays hydrated, because correct humidity (especially during New England winters) in open top enclosures is tricky. Is it necessary? Probably not, but he seems happy with the extra attention. :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
omgamylee said:
We have two male Hermanns that are somewhere between 3-5 years old. We have been soaking them daily since we got them (one month), partly because we originally weren't sure of their age and then because they were overcoming a nasty battle of worms (thanks, Petsmart!) and the soaks helped them expel the worms. Our vet has given them clean bills of health... so my question is, can we reduce the soaking to every other day? How often do you soak your Hermanns?

Thanks!

I put their baths in their enclosure, so they go in on their own. Mostly, they just use it as a litter box. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I also mist them daily.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
O always hear about that "magical poop-effect" that water seems to have on them, but he's never done that. The only thing he does at the most is expell urates. But of course he always times it on the moment where I just took him out and am drying him. ;)

Lexie

5 Year Member
Can we see a pic of your 65 year old Hermann? I've never seen that old of one!

Also I think it never a hurts to soaks em, mine loves it and just rest his head on the side and takes a little a nap so I soak him often. As far as needing to because of the worms, I'm not sure. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Opinions will vary on this one. Some will say never, just give them water and the proper enclosure, while others will say do it everyday.

I think it depends on many factors. If they have a damp substrate, moderate humidity, a humid hide and you live in a fairly humid area, soaking becomes less necessary. Dry substrate, low humidity, no humid hide? Soak them regularly while you fix what ever you can fix about their environment.

I also think it does no harm to soak them every other day, regardless of all of the above.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Lexie said:
Can we see a pic of your 65 year old Hermann? I've never seen that old of one!

Also I think it never a hurts to soaks em, mine loves it and just rest his head on the side and takes a little a nap so I soak him often. As far as needing to because of the worms, I'm not sure. Good luck!

You can click on my signature and then you'll see a picture :)

Opinions will vary on this one. Some will say never, just give them water and the proper enclosure, while others will say do it everyday.

I think it depends on many factors. If they have a damp substrate, moderate humidity, a humid hide and you live in a fairly humid area, soaking becomes less necessary. Dry substrate, low humidity, no humid hide? Soak them regularly while you fix what ever you can fix about their environment.

I also think it does no harm to soak them every other day, regardless of all of the above.

I agree with you completely. Especially if I had another tortoise I'd probably try how it goes with regular baths, especially if it was a young one. But Peter gets really agitated in the bath, and so I try to keep them to a minimum, so as not to stress him.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
omgamylee said:

Thanks!

This time of year, they all go to the water dish together almost every day, on their own, so I also soak them daily during the winter.

d9130271-6dec-4328-80c6-c0ec6814a4a3

Winter soaks are individual events, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.