New Hermanns!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abclements

5 Year Member
So my buddy and I decided on Hermanns! One is named Hamburger and the other is Sparticus (not sure which one's which yet though lol) Anyways, we got the enclosure all set up a couple days ago and the babies just arrived this morning! They're super active after about 3 hours of warming up and adjusting! Attached are a couple pictures of them and the enclosure! Let me know what you guys think! (I know the enclosure will have to be expanded in the near future but unfortunately everywhere around town we out of anything bigger, and we already had the torts on the way)

One quick question though... One of them seems to still have a yolk sac thing still attached to his under side... Here's a picture. The people from Reptmart.com said he's about 3 months old. Is this normal?? Or is there something I need to do to help it along? Any advice is welcome!!
DSC_0004.JPG

Thanks!!

-Drew

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are very cute. The pic with them on rocks, I thought at first they were on their own little pillows:D. Well I guess they kinda are, basking pillows. Three months seems a little long to me with the yolk sac, but I have no personal experience. My leopard was two months when I got him and his was gone. See what others have to say.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Very cute!!! The enclosure looks really good overall, I love the dandelion in the corner :) I do have a couple of suggestions though; The water dish looks a little deep for such little guys to get in and out of (they won't always try and use for the stone ramp), and be sure not to fill it to the top with water until they are bigger. As for the basking stones, they look like a big tipping hazard to me. Young torts are really prone to flipping themselves. I would dig the rocks down deeper (or add more substrate) until they are completely flush with the substrate all around. Lastly, you won't get a truly accurate reading from the thermometer and humidity gauge mounted on the wall - Throw them on top of the substrate! That's where your torts are, that's where it matters!

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Can you add your location, please?
How about a nice, 3x3 feet, outdoor enclosure, with sun, filtered shade, and hides in shade? These are not indoor animals; they will be very healthy this way, and very fragile if kept indoors. If you are a beginner, find more about them before making a change, but in a week they should be outdoors. Mines are outdoors 24-48 hours after hatch, maybe more if their enclosure it's not ready, but NO WAY more than a week indoors!
Indeed, they look like recent hatched...

DeeF

5 Year Member
Hi,
Your hermanns are great! They look beautiful and very tiny. They will thrive if they are fed weeds and flowers (have a look at http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants), but they should not have celery or any other vegetables as this will make them ill, not immediately, but over time. You are very lucky to have them! Enjoy!
Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.