So much information!!

lilT

I'm concerned about my little Sheldon! He's just a little guy. Oh sorry, he's a baby Cherry Head. I will try to include a picture. Anyway, I have his enclosure all set up. His heat is 80 on one side and 75 on the other, humidity is right at 80%. I think I have everything set up okay but he just won't come out of his little hiding area unless I get him out. When he's in his enclosure, he hides in his little house or burrows in the substrate and hides under leaves. When I do get him out, he eats and likes soaks and walks around, even lets me pet his tiny little head (I hope that is a good sign). So, I don't really know if I am just overreacting??
Please, if you need ANY more info, I'm more than willing to let you know...
Thanks guys!!
Tina (aka Lil T)

cherry head sheldon 2.jpg
My son holding Sheldon

0 sheldon home water bowl side.jpg

Sheldon's Enclosure
0 sheldon home cave side.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Babies hide, its natural for them. They sleep a lot too so you are all good there. I'm not a redfoot expert but your temps seem too low, especialy for a baby. Two tips I can give you though- 1) those little disc temp things from petco are not very good. I learned this the hard way. Go get you an outside temp and humidity reader from walmarts garden section. They are 10-20$. Then no. 2- get rid of your plastic water dish they are a flip hazard. Tera cotta plant saucer dishes work great, its what we all use and they are cheap.

lilT

Ok, I have a ceramic plant saucer...can I use that? Or should I stick with tera cotta for some reason? Just curious. He doesn't seem to like the plastic one with the ramp anyway. It's pretty heavy duty but I will definitely switch it out!! Only the best for Sheldon!
Is it normal for him to hide so much? I am just concerned he's not getting enough UBV light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't use the red bulb. A CHE set on a thermostat will work better for you.

Those water bowls are literally death traps for tortoises. Terra cotta plant saucers are best.

Sounds like your temps might need to be a little warmer.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Bump up the temps a little . I'd go with 85/90 on hot side and no lower than 80 on the cool side .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't have red foots, but my Leopards are way more active when the temps are kept above 80. The terra cotta saucer is better for traction. The smooth one are slick and hard for them to get out. He is very cute by the way.

lilT

Changed his water bowl already...bumped up his temps. I already switched the heat lamp to a ceramic one (well, I think it is anyway) after I had taken this picture. I definitely need to get a different temperature gauge and humidity monitor (I forget what they're called). What about the digital thermometers? Do those work pretty good or should I definitely go for an outdoor one?

lilT

I don't have red foots, but my Leopards are way more active when the temps are kept above 80. The terra cotta saucer is better for traction. The smooth one are slick and hard for them to get out. He is very cute by the way.

Ok thanks! The ceramic one I have is textured but I will switch it out for a terra cotta one tomorrow.

lilT

Bump up the temps a little . I'd go with 85/90 on hot side and no lower than 80 on the cool side .

I seriously don't know what I'd do without you guys...probably have a small panic attack (joking) but I seriously love this little guy so much already!!
I bumped up his temps, but they recommend a little cooler at night, should I be doing that or just leave it around 85/90 all the time?

lilT

Oh and a little side note...when I pet his cute little head, he pushes against my finger...like he wants me to apply more pressure (I think). I truly hope this is a good sign! What do you guys think? Sorry I am barraging you with questions!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Some of mine seem to enjoy being rubbed at least sometimes. I think it is a good sign. :) Don't be sorry about asking questions. That's how we all learn, and is why we are here.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hiding is normal. You can get any digital temp reader really.the ones they sell at dept stores in the garden centers are usually cheaper than the pet store kind. And they read humidity too which is pretty important for your guy. I also have one of these and love it
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Great way to check all the enclosure

lilT

Hiding is normal. You can get any digital temp reader really.the ones they sell at dept stores in the garden centers are usually cheaper than the pet store kind. And they read humidity too which is pretty important for your guy. I also have one of these and love it
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Great way to check all the enclosure

Thank you! I love all this information you guys are helping me with, I truly appreciate it!

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I have a little Cherryhead, too. Rowan's about fifteen months old now. Last year, he went through a period where he was hardly gaining weight (I weigh him weekly), and I got a little concerned. His temperatures were from the 70s to 80s at that time. When I read on this forum that torts need over 80 Fahrenheit to digest, I bumped up the temperatures. Now the temperatures are from the 80s to the 90s, and Rowan's growing more. But, I don't think you can ever stop learning, and this forum is a great place. This weekend, I hope to put in a new temperature control system in his habitat.