Can tortoises be allergic to some leaves?

kezilulu

Some of you may remember that when I first got Sheldon we had a few "nose bubble" issues. Now this may sound like an odd question but sometimes when Sheldon's eaten (not every time it depends what he's fed) he goes quiet and a little bit sneezy with a few clear nose bubbles. He then has a little sleep and wakes up fine and dandy. Like I said this doesn't happen every time and whenever I've taken him to the vets the vet can't see any problems and doesn't think it's an RI so do you think it's something he's eating that disagrees with him?
I'm wondering today if it's the mazuri that he had in with his leaves, I've just got hold of some and mixed it with a little water as a treat. Can you feed mazuri dry?
I'm wondering if he's not very good at handling too much moisture in his mouth may be?
xXx

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guess anything could be possible, but I doubt it, just my guess. It could possibly be that some greens either triggers a saliva gland or that it needs more saliva to break it down, and the access is coming out the nostrils, hmmm, again, just a guess.
Yes, Mazuri can be fed dry. If you have a little one, crunch it into smaller pieces.

kezilulu

I'll try crunching it next time then!
I'm sure it's something to do with too much moisture rather than him being ill as it isn't all the time, the bubbles are clear, there's no runny nose, he's active and alert the rest if the time, his eyes are clear and his legs are strong when I'm picking him up for his bath etc
I tell you this little man has me wrapped around his torty finger lol
xXx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wild animals seldom have allergy problems if ever. Toxic leaves are a more likely possibility, as is the possibility that he's fighting a long term URI.

What species, and how is he being housed? What temps?

kezilulu

He's a Russian tortoise his basking spot is 95f his cool corner is 65f and the other two are 75f. At the minute he's in a pet shop bought vivarium which is definitely not ideal but my mum has no other room and we're hoping to move house in the next few months and build a large tortoise table.
The leaves I provides this morning were lollo rosso, apollo lettuce, wild rocket and radicchio and I gave him about 6/7 pellets of mazuri which I mixed with a little water to make them softer.
I live in England so it's too cold to have him outside but I have a UVB tube light too and I'm in the process of growing some tortoise friendly weeds
Thank you so much for any help you can give me!
xXx

kezilulu

Are my temps etc O.K? If it is an URI are there any home remedies I can start with? He became active after a long snooze again earlier like there hadn't been a problem earlier
xXx

kezilulu

Can someone please give me a little more guidance? Are the leaves he was fed O.K/not poisonous to his breed? He's fine again today so should I keep monitoring him or get him to the vets and insist medication do you think?
xXx