So Dom is a night owl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh
Hey guys, long time no see! Domino's doing great; that avatar pic is kind of old and he's gotten bigger since then. I'm hoping to be more active in the forum nowadays, just been so busy with work and school.

Anyway, what I'm wondering at the moment is if it's ok for him to be up and about at night. I sometimes see him walking around at midnight or 2 am. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the temperature. It's getting colder out, and my apartment basically has two heating options: freezing or sauna. Me being a freeze-baby, I naturally go for the latter, but I'm wondering if that's interrupting his time-cycle/whatever since there's no significant drop in temp between day and night. Any thoughts?

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
What kind of light are you using during the night? If you're not already using a heat light, you should get a ceramic heat emitter, since those emit heat without light. Night time temps should be around 75-80 degrees. Tortoises tend to have more energy when the temperatures are higher.

EKLC

5 Year Member
lushcious said:
What kind of light are you using during the night? If you're not already using a heat light, you should get a ceramic heat emitter, since those emit heat without light. Night time temps should be around 75-80 degrees. Tortoises tend to have more energy when the temperatures are higher.

He's saying that he keeps the house warm all night.

So what are your night and day temps on average?

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Yeah, the light is on a timer from 8am to 6pm. Temperature on average is 75ish. It can sometimes go into the 80's if I fall asleep with the space heater on (never a fun feeling to wake up to...), but I'm getting better about that.

Alsty

5 Year Member
I'm in an apartment right now too and I just bought a ceramic heat lamp and it's amazing! They last for 5 years too!

EKLC

5 Year Member
75 should be ok for a night temp, at least not warm enough to cause strange night behavior. I think people here have talked about their torts doing this before

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You are probably keeping him too warm at night and should aim for more of a temperature drop. Preferably into the 60°s

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
He has two hiding places, one near the lamp and one at the far end. I can lower the night temps, since I admit I'm probably overdoing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.