Snapping Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Joliet,IL
I'm just curious of who else has a snapping turtle.
Post some pics I will try to put some up of my guy this weekend.

Also curious to what you feed your snapper

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have three common snappers who live outside year round, so right now they are sleeping. :D I never thought about it, but I don't have any pictures of them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was mistaken, while looking for another picture I came across these:

103-1.jpg

101-1.jpg

100-1.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 2 that hatched here in 07, I have more pics somewhere but have not found them,these were taken last year. I feed them mostly pelleted foods, there is always different types of fish in the pond if they can catch them. the nosy RES is the one I just traded away. I am going to give the snappers their own pond this summer. Len

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
The Chelydra serpentina. The common Snapping Turtle. In my eyes, the most entertaining turtle on Earth. I've always likened them to The Great White Shark of the turtle world. Hatchling's to 2 year olds can be so much fun. Minnows, chicken, beef heart..... The list goes on. What I will tell you, if you'd like to keep your Snapping Turtle until it's (early) juvenille years, invest in a 200 gallon stock tank, nothing less. And a cannister filter, completely changed out no longer than every 10 to 15 days. Know what you're getting into. They get big, fast.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
I got my little guy just this previous summer when he was a hatchling and he has ayleast doubled his size now I would say, Right now he has fish to pick off if, he will accept pellets once in a while, but he loves his frozen pinkies, I.plan on upgrading this spring,

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't keep any Snappers as "pets", they're very common here where I live in nature. I do have one occasionally for a short time that people bring to me or call me to "rescue". I've removed several of them over the years from garages and gardens. There are a few small lakes and ponds in the area that people don't frequent much that I release the turtles into. The females love to nest in garden soil! One even climbed a 3' high fence to nest in a garden. They number in the thousands around here, easily the most common turtle in the area followed by Midland Painted and Wood turtles.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I know someone who has two snappers and a red eared slider in one of those little plastic lagoons with filthy water :( they are about a year old and still the size of a quarter :O and they don't even put their food in the water for them too eat!

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
My guy when he basks will stick his.head in the water and wait for a fish to swim by close enough:)

Status
Not open for further replies.