Found small snapping turtle!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
He was found in a urban neighborhood that doesn't even have a field i could let him go in.... Should i bring him back there or release him in the swamp at the bottom of my street?

stinax182

5 Year Member
The first snow is coming Wednesday. After researching them a bit, i realize i cannot keep him myself, unfortunately. I'm not sure how to find him a home.... Craigslist?

Also, what would a temporary enclosure consist of?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It will most likely do fine if you took it to the pond and released it. I had box turtles walking around the yard today and water turtles sunning themselves around the pond. We had several nights of temps in the teens and daytime high temps in the low 30's, But today we hit 75 F. the storm you are about to get is supposed to stay west of us by a couple county's, I hope that holds true.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Well, every source i can get weather info from says 6-8" Wednesday night. I thought turtles had to prepare for burmation maybe like tortoises?

I keep hearing they'll travel miles for water but today is the first day in the 60s in weeks so if he came from water he was in a puddle or he crossed 10+ streets by 3pm.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They come up when it's warm, and food is still available. I'd let him go at the water's edge. Everything has a danger, of course. The larger the body of water, the slower the temps change.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They come up when it's warm, and food is still available. I'd let him go at the water's edge. Everything has a danger, of course. The larger the body of water, the slower the temps change.

Very well stated.

So what did you end up doing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also think it should be taken to the pond and released. It's not a new baby, as new babies are only the size of a 50cent piece or smaller. He's got a year or two on him. No telling why he was in your neighborhood and so far away from the water, but he was outside, that means he's acclimated to being outside. Take him to the water and let him go.

stinax182

5 Year Member
I kept him until the snow stopped and melted a bit then released him into the swamp at the bottom of my street. I found a small marsh where i think he could have came from but it was frozen over from the snow. Thank you guys!