Small Tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Okay, i will def look into them.
DALANO73: is your hatchling from one of your adult torts? Or did you adopt the little guy from somewhere else?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Mewr428 said:
Okay, i will def look into them.
DALANO73: is your hatchling from one of your adult torts? Or did you adopt the little guy from somewhere else?

My new hatchling was from a breeder that lives an hour away from me. I am not ready to do the breeder thing, I will leave that up to the experts..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Mewr428 said:
What do you guys think of red footed tortoises?

Redfoots do well in more humid environments, and, as you indicate living in Florida, could be a good choice for you...depending on where in Florida you live, as long as night temps are 60 degrees or above, adults can stay outside 24/7. Hatchlings and baby Redfoots, otoh, are best brought inside at night.

Somewhat larger than the European tortoises I keep, but not so large as to be problematic (like a sulcata can be), they're colorful, and can, eventually be as personable as a Hermann's, if given patient TlC.

NAN4011.jpg

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Red-footed Tortoises are attractive, personable and until recently, the most popular pet tortoise. There are lots of breeders, including several on this forum, offering different 'races' (geographic variations). Florida is an ideal location for them - hot & humid...

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
is it hard to breed torts? my friend had 2 of them and she said they were constantly mating.

unless its "florida winter" we always have a temp over 60 degrees

why arent the redfoots the most popular anymore? any reason?

firework

5 Year Member
This time of the year is a good time to start having a tort.

Greek, Herman's and Russian are pretty forgiving. I have a Greek, it's my first tort ever, and it's doing great.

The key points are: keep it warm, lots of sunshine, enclosure not too dry, soak often, varied food.

Since you've never had tort before, be prepared to spend lots of money (>$300) just on the basic supplies.

But once you establish the setup, it's pretty low maintenance. I recommend you buy everything else before adopting the tort.

Don't be lured to buy the ones with amazing geometric shell patterns (the stars, etc) as they will not survive beginners and they will grow huge.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
oh wow, i will have to save up. I have never heard of the ones with star patterns. Is that natural?

I think when i get one i will get a Russian. It seems like everyone likes them and they are pretty kool looking.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hi! I have a male Russian. I think they are a great beginner tort species--very friendly and forgiving to the mistakes you will make. They seem to be the easiest to find (most popular species?). As much research as you do (I did years), you will still have to adjust some things are learn based on your tort. We have a 6 x 3 enclosure for him indoors as its too cold & damp for him to get out much here. You don't need quite that big if its getting out regularly, but I wanted to give you some info in that a rabbit sized cage or an aquarium isn't ideal. In our next place he'll get the formal dining room all to himself! I would recommend finding a captive bred Russian over a year old. That way you are spared the very likely heartbreak of a hatchling (they are fragile). I would be prepared to spend any amount necessary to get the older captive bred tort (they may cost more than a hatchling or Petco type wild caught tort).

Do keep in mind torts do not mix with cats or dogs. They can have 99 friendly encounters, and then time 100 the tort gets injured or even killed. We have seen too many sad stories here. Best case is to keep your tort in a secure enclosure all the time in a room away from the dog and cars, and when outdoors, have the dog in a separate fenced area. Never let your tort roam the house as its dangerous for them, especially with other pets. Also don't let your tort come in contact with dog poop because some of their meds and parasites can hurt the tort.

Look online on pet finder websites like Craig's list, tort rescues, the pound or animal shelters, and get in contact with breeders to see if they have any hold backs. Most torts hatch in spring & summer. Yes, I agree it can be very expensive to get set up...tort, enclosure, substrate, light fixtures, bulbs, food, vet check up (general health as well as a fecal test for parasites...many are loaded with these and need some meds to get rid of them), hides, food & water dishes, emergency fund for vet visits, etc. I'd say $1k is a good goal figure so you can make an indoor and outdoor enclosure and have a starter vet fund. They are such great pets though. We really think of our little guy as part of our family, our shell baby.

Yes, commonly kept torts like an indian star or a leopard have some cool natural patterns. There are some even more rare ones that you don't see which I don't remember names for. You will also sometimes see some "defects" like split scutes (the "tiles" a tort has for its shell)....many think these area really cool (no they don't hurt the tort). A lot of the "prettier" ones aren't beginner torts, like pointed out. If conditions are ideal, you may see a couple clutches of eggs a year...depends on the tort couple, species, etc. A lot of things have to be correct to get fertile eggs that hatch though. I would start with one for a couple years and see how it goes. Its not a good idea to jump into a pair of torts...typically it isn't good for them...the male can constantly harass the female to the point they need to be housed separately. They aren't like humans in that they won't get lonely by themselves. In the wild, they graze solo until in the spring they come across a mate, do their thing, and then go off again on their own.

If you do have plenty of space and a redfoot appeals to you, they are an option. You said small tort though, and they aren't small (but not huge either). They are on the tougher side of the beginner range due to their high humidity requirement, but if it is mostly outdoors, it should be really good in Florida. I'm sure you see a lot of redfoots there. Keep in mind the redfoots you typically see are imported farmed ones. Not quite as bad as imported (wild caught), but not too much better. Its a personal choice. To me, my first choice is going though a breeder (I'm a big fan of supporting captive breeding, except for Sulcatas), then adoption (you do have to be prepared for more medical bills with these as often they have been mistreated and were wild caught to begin with)...wouldn't consider anything else. A captive bred tort doesn't guarantee healthy though--mine has already had three cases of two different kinds of parasites in his first couple years. Likely from his mother or shared housing.

Good luck! Have fun with the research, shopping, and eventually, choosing your new family member. :)

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
Tortoisenerd: thank you so much for the information. That was very kind of you to take the time to write all of that. You answered alot of questions that I had. I think when I finally get a tort, I will get a Russian. Ps I love your torts name. Did you name him or did he come with that name?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
We named him. Got very lucky he turned out to be a male as temp-sexing is never 100%, and we got him from a (good) pet store who got him from a breeder, so high chance of them messing it up. We wanted something that started with a 't' so we could say Trevor Tortoise. hehe Glad I could help! I tend to write pretty long-winded posts most of the time...

A

Anthony00814

I would suggest a CB T. hermanni, (Hermann's Tortoise) they stay adequately small, are actual attractive, and are a part of the hardier tortoises. Most CB T. graeca (Greek Tortoises) are T. graeca ibera from Turkey and would aswell be a acceptable choice.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
I love the name. And anthony, I will look into that

Status
Not open for further replies.