Tortoise with a 1 year old

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
I have been around turtles every since I can remember, but now that my wife and I are looking for our first family tortoise I wanted to ask you guys if there was any specific breed that is "better" to be around youngsters. We know that whatever we get will grow up with our daughter so were wanting something with good a temperament. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just wanting to make sure I do all my homework. Thanks for any help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most tortoises are benign. There are a few exceptions, but most don't like or want to be messed with. So it will be up to you to teach the little one about tortoises are for looking and not touching. The tortoise will have his own yard/pen/space, and the child should be taught to respect that. You can have him help you feed and change water, and take care of the animal instead of 'playing' with it.

Some adult tortoises, especially sulcatas, will ram a human if they don't want that person in their territory. Hurts like heck, and will knock a young child down. They don't stop with one ram either.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Box turtlers. Or If your up for the size, sulcatas. some of them just want attention. (At least the ones I've met)

I'm totally up for a box turtle and my dream tortoise is a sulcata but the only thing is I live in Alaska...I would love to have a sulcata but understand that at about 2 years they would need to be outdoors permanently, is that correct?

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
I'm totally up for a box turtle and my dream tortoise is a sulcata but the only thing is I live in Alaska...I would love to have a sulcata but understand that at about 2 years they would need to be outdoors permanently, is that correct?
it depends on how fast you grow them, they're still pretty small at 2 years usually at 4-6 is when I see sulcatas start to become to big enough for outside. But Alaska is freezing so maybe a Russian tortoise would be the way to go.
Russians are very funny and don't get to big

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Just a FYI , my sulcata just over 2 years is just over 7 Lbs . Not saying you couldn't have one there , if you have the room and the $$ for an appropriate enclosure anything is possible ! He does live outside , and has a night box to stay warm ! It is 57 degrees F here now and he is sitting in the sun !

100_03.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
it depends on how fast you grow them, they're still pretty small at 2 years usually at 4-6 is when I see sulcatas start to become to big enough for outside.

Most of mine hit 8-10 inches in one year and have to live outside. They reach 20 inches and 40 pounds by year 4.

Just sharing info. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Most of the Testudo have pretty outgoing personalities. If you want to make a room sized enclosure when its an adult, you could keep a red foot too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Holy moly. That's fast

Nowadays people are keeping them better hydrated and that one variable all by itself makes them grow much faster than they did in the past. Sometimes 2 or 3 times faster.

Fast growth is not the goal. Healthy growth is the goal.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I think a good question would be - how much space do you have to dedicate to your new tortoise? Most need a minimum of 4x8ft, but some need much more and with such a short summer you're going to need something that can live indoors pretty much year round.