SLOW PROGRESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
OK, We have a new addition to our breeding program, "ALPHA". and are expecting two additional females soon. Based on our new additions we decided to increase our shade/heat building capabilities for easier accomadations for the tortoises. The permitting process took almost three weeks and what a PITA! After extreme frustration, we decided to alter our origional design/plans to something the county would approve. The end result is a 12 x 34 x 9 to 7 pole barn. After that is completed and inspected, I will do the rest my way! Anyway, the GC is still having complications (failed hid first inspection and i refused several pieces of his wood), however permit is approved and on site. This is the progress as of yesturday.

Note: They were afraid to work today because of the holiday, if code enforcement recieved a complaint it would be a $300 per person fine on the job!

otg39d.jpg

2iabw3s.jpg

14xytx.jpg

21bja6w.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a nice start.

Now you have to be aware that "strangers" have seen your tortoises. Make sure your guard dog stays on duty.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ya, :D:D:D:D Finally a start. You mentioned "what a PITA" am I reading that right? PITA gave you problems?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
emysemys said:
That's a nice start.

Now you have to be aware that "strangers" have seen your tortoises. Make sure your guard dog stays on duty.

:) Always......

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'm curious, what was the problem with the original design? How did you have to alter it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Laurie said:
wellington said:
Ya, :D:D:D:D Finally a start. You mentioned "what a PITA" am I reading that right? PITA gave you problems?

I'm pretty sure pita is pain in the ****, good luck Greg

LMAO :D Okay, see, I don't do the texting (short hand) stuff very well. I just figured out LMAO this week LOL. Boy it sucks to be the older generation:p
BTW Greg, I think you are older then me. I was thinking of your younger days picture when I thought you were younger then me:p:D Bet were close though:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Seriously why can they not work today?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
wellington said:
Laurie said:
wellington said:

LMAO :D Okay, see, I don't do the texting (short hand) stuff very well. I just figured out LMAO this week LOL. Boy it sucks to be the older generation:p
BTW Greg, I think you are older then me. I was thinking of your younger days picture when I thought you were younger then me:p:D Bet were close though:D

It's okay, my aunt that lives pretty far away doesn't do texting either... she would always send these cryptic messages like "Merry Christmas LOL" and such... turns out she thought LOL stood for lots of love :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
futureleopardtortoise said:
wellington said:
Laurie said:
wellington said:

It's okay, my aunt that lives pretty far away doesn't do texting either... she would always send these cryptic messages like "Merry Christmas LOL" and such... turns
out she thought LOL stood for lots of love :p

LOL :D. I used to think it meant lots of love too LOL I was just showing my son this thread and I also just caught the fact that Greg spelled PITA and I was thinking PETA LOL OMG I think the heat is getting to me:p:D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Roof is completed, waiting on two more inspections from the county.

333ev14.jpg

1i09vs.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Same question as Jacqui. WOW Florida is a PITA , haha now I can use it. Do they put that much concern into the slums of florida? Not some of them that I have gotten lost in.:D I can't even believe they bother for tortoises housing. Is it just because it is a building, the size of it or because you are having electrical in it? I am going to call mine a dog house, incase anyone ask. :p :D. But I can get away with that, you can't with the herd you have.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacqui said:
Inspections without it even being done?

I fired them and will be doing the rest myself. I got sickened by one of the workers throwing his cigarette butts on the ground! I explained to them that these torotises could not eat those and continued to find more......Good by! The two inspections, roof and drainage are scheduled for Monday and then i will settle with the GC for what they have done. Yes, Collier County is horrible to deal with! PITA!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good for you. I am a smoker and I hate people using my yard or the ground etc for their ash tray. We don't allow it in our building/apartments. I caught our one renters using the ally outside my and their porch as their ash tray. I wasn't too happy looking at a pile of cig butts. Let's just say, it won't happen again, idiots.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What is it with so many smokers, that they think tossing their butt where ever it may land is okay? I am amazed at all the ones I find along the road in front of my house. Makes it appear somebody who lives here smokes... and none of us do. Guess you didn't make the warning seem like you were serious enough.... or they were really brave/stupid workers. :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacqui said:
What is it with so many smokers, that they think tossing their butt where ever it may land is okay? I am amazed at all the ones I find along the road in front of my house. Makes it appear somebody who lives here smokes... and none of us do. Guess you didn't make the warning seem like you were serious enough.... or they were really brave/stupid workers. :D

No, I was clear! Two of them smoked and asked if it was ok at the start of the project. I said sure, just please do not throw the butts on the ground, they must go in the trash and explained my concern was for the tortoises possibly eating them. They said no problem. Well, the first day they left I policed the area for possible dropped nails and pieces of PT wood that might have been dropped on the ground and found six cigarette butts on the ground, I was pissed! The next day i re-explained my concern about the butts and they need to dispose of them in the big grey trash can. That day was all good, just found a couple of nails, I expected that...I have dropped some myself...it does happen. The third day they finished up the roof structure for the roofers to lay tar paper and shingles. I policed the area and found several more butts, two outside the perimeter i had build...That was it, based on another issue and this. I, for the life of me, can not understand why people will not listen to the customer who is paying them good money. When it comes to the tortoises i am very serious about protecting and keeping them safe! They actually did a decent job on what they did, just tired of the BS and they were not doing what i had made clear about a few other construction issues. Enough said, inspections are scheduled tomorrow and the project continues with me being responsible for my own standards, lol!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have had the same problem in my backyard with one family member who smokes and throws them in the yard. My wife has talked to them several times and I put a metal coffee can for an ash tray outside. He has a few beers and starts throwing them all over the yard. About a week ago I pulled one out of my Radiated torts mouth. He hasnt been over in quite awhile so it had to be from a couple months ago. I dont smoke and dont have a problem with people who do. I really dont want them thrown all over my yard either. Glad you fired them:cool:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Failed his first of two inspection today, that will be another two day delay! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.